burmese pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually Spring I am guessing you are talking about the right person as your location is his

Yeah I am no good with names. I remember in the last bush fires he had to get the fire brigade to help him evacuate all his snakes.

Indeed. How often do you see him? Have you had the chance to see his Burmese? It is a monster, It is a four to five man(struggling) to hold it job. Temprement like a pussy cat though. He has got some of the best herps in his collection. He must have been keeping now for about 40 or 50 years now. Oh and it's Nev

Yes thats it Nev, I've met him only twice once at the Hawkesbury Herp Society when he was trying to get information on who may have stolen his burmese, and the other when he was working at wonderland. I would love to see his collection one day but I don't know many herpos in my area.

Yeah he did find out who it was and unfortunately it wasn't the guy who had it at the time. We did find out who it was though as it turned out that a mystery name that was dropped ended up being someone I knew who was into crooked dealings and sure enough it was the same guy, enough said about that, It was actually The Australian Wildlife Park he worked in(not to get technical lol) attached to Wonderland. I used to be the Security Supervisor there for some time. That's how I know him. If you ever see him you should take the opportunity to talk to him. What he doesn't know isn't worth knowing when it comes to herps of all kinds and Crocs. He actually caught the big fella at the Zoo years ago,,, All 650kgs of him

It was actually The Australian Wildlife Park he worked in(not to get technical lol) attached to Wonderland.

argh same thing :) Its all getting closed down now anyway. What happened to the fella who stole the snake?

Umm well, last I heard was that after his terrible unfortunate accident he moved to QLD somewhere. LOL yeah your right it is the same thing sort of and it is closed already. I rang to chat to him the other week only to find it has closed up already, that is why I said "used to be " lol I am pretty sure he is still there while they work out the final closure and so on.

I always find it bewildering how people can be so misinformed. I have a friend of mine who is a well know reptile keeper and handler and even considered enough of an expert to be featured on the Encyclopedia Britanica cd talking about Australian reptiles, and he is the proud owner of a VERY VERY LARGE Burmese python(legally)
Not misinformed at all, I merely answered the kids question which was "Can I buy a burmese python in Australia?"and the answer is NO.So perhaps before saddling up your high horse you should actually read the thread properly.
I don't doubt your mate has a legal Burmese. I am guessing he declared it during the amnesty in '97.Unless you have a time machine in your shed Moman can't go back to '97 and legally own a Burmese.

It's all this talk about Burms, I just can't resist...

100_2251_002.sized.jpg

cwarren72 said:
He actually caught the big fella at the Zoo years ago,,, All 650kgs of him

Oh come on! Bob isn't THAT big! :shock:

THATS NOT FAIR KEV!!!!!!!!!!
thats it i'm comming over there and cuddleing ALL your herps

Kevyn, seriously mate, how do you deal with handling the retic and burmese? Are either really big? I think the "keeper/pet" thing would change radically as they got really big, to brave potential prey/pet status. Are you ever overpowered or intimidated by either? fess up please, honestly intrested. :D

NO high horse here and YES Misinformed. If you researched a little harder you would find that there is still someone here who has bred SINCE the amnesty and where do you think the off-spring go????????? So get off your High Donkey and maybe you might realise that although you may know a great deal you do not know everything. ****You know who this is to****

Perhaps if you looked into it a bit more you will see that ALL exotic animals held LEGALLY on licence can not be
A/ Sold B/ Traded or C/ Bred
This was done to stop new people getting them and allowing the ones already in captivity to slowly thin out. Anything that had been bred since then by anyone other than a ZOO or other licence holding person/s are breaking the law of the 1997 amnstey and must have dumped them into the black market.
So unless this person had justifiable cause i.e The appropriate licence (To my knowledge, the only people capable of soing this are a Zoo) I can't see it legally happening, thats not to say that it has not been bred....

I have never claimed to know everything but these things I do know...
a) Legally held exotics are not allowed to be bred. It is a condition of the license.
b) You can not legally buy a Burmese python in Australia (Which I believe is what the original question was)
c) A velocipede is an old form of bicycle.

Kevyn, seriously mate, how do you deal with handling the retic and burmese? Are either really big? I think the "keeper/pet" thing would change radically as they got really big, to brave potential prey/pet status. Are you ever overpowered or intimidated by either? fess up please, honestly intrested.

No they don't ever intimidate me. Once they're a certain length, I don't handle them by myself. It's kind of like working with hots, there's a way of working them inorder to stay safe. I have to have a bottle of vinegar very handy, and I don't handle any thing that smells like prey before handling them. Also I've learned to recognize what a feed response looks like. Yes it can be dangerous, but I love the giants. They are my favourites.

Owning huge snakes like that is a compensatory thing. It's the same as the bloke who goes out and buys a Ferrari or a Jag. It's to make up for some, shall we say, 'shortcomings'?

Oh and before anyone jumps up and down about what I just said, here's a smiley face that makes it all ok. :wink:

Greg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back