Lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouncer

Reaction score
Ok, I've had our animals for a while now and have always kept a steady temp in all their enclosures. All around the 30C mark during the day and it's all turned off at about 6 pm to cool naturally. We have a warm house. I can't really tell you what globes we're using as I threw away the boxes but if my memory serves me, They are Exo Terra day lamps, 60 watts.
All the animals are healthy and the temp is right but I was wondering if there's any way of having a light set up in there that stayed on all day while being able to keep the set temp. Ours turn off once the desired temp is reached and turn back on when it lowers a few degrees.
It's just the light going on and off bugs me a bit.

I don't actually have a night time temp...it just drops a degree or so. is this wrong?

Hi bouncer, i think what would be ideal for you would be a ceramic heat emmitter on a thermostat to keep the temp, it can turn on and off all day and you wont even notice, an then you can choose a regular uv tube to light the enclosure when you want to, which does not affect the temp of the cage.

Angel

That sounds good, Thanks Angel. I'll look into it.
Pete, it should probably drop about 10C at night. Mine does but takes a while to get that low after it's switched off.

speaking of temps, because I have a few tanks running in one room the temp in my bredl tank (without additional heating) is about 32-34 degrees. is this too hot? should I somehow try and cool it down abit?

Re: RE: Lighting

angelrose said:
Hi bouncer, i think what would be ideal for you would be a ceramic heat emmitter on a thermostat to keep the temp, it can turn on and off all day and you wont even notice, an then you can choose a regular uv tube to light the enclosure when you want to, which does not affect the temp of the cage.

Angel

I think you will find that the uv flouro will actually raise the ambient temp of the enclosure. After all, it is a light, and does produce heat.

But with the ceramic as you suggested, the thermostat running on the ceramic will compensate for the flouro therefore keeping it at the desired temp that is set on the thermostat with the flouro on constantly during the day.

Cheers, Alan.

RE: Re: RE: Lighting

I think you will find that the uv flouro will actually raise the ambient temp of the enclosure. After all, it is a light, and does produce heat.
I consider the heat from fluros to be so negligible that I don't bother considering it lol. Especially in larger cages.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Lighting

rodentrancher said:
What sort of lighting should we use in a click clack tub for our new MD hatchling when it comes please? Cheers Cheryl

I reckon the old half on half off heat matt should do the trick. So that means the warm end of the tub is on the heat mat, and the cool end of the tub isnt.

That is the norm for hatchie tubs isnt it??

Hi Bouncer,

I think if you test a few globes to ensure that they don't overheat the enclosure you can leave them run successfully & constantly during the day. If you pick something that?s not over the top, normal heat dissipation and ventilation should keep the temperature at a pretty constant gradient with some rises and falls due to external influences :D The only thing you?d have to watch for is mega hot days then it?d probably be best to turn them off anyway as you'd know :wink:

I'm using a spot basking lamp (60watt) during the day in my snake enclosure which seems to do a pretty good job at providing a basking spot of about 32 degrees (perhaps even warmer) and also creating a heat gradient at the cooler end of about 24.5 degrees (understandably with smaller tanks you?d use a smaller watt spot). I am leaving this run for approx 8hrs a day. I also have a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat which doesn?t come on until the timer switches the daytime spot lamp off (The spot lamp maintains a warmer daytime temp). Should the spot fail, the ceramic will simply revert back to night time temps which are just a little milder anyway. So far that was the theory, and now in practice it seems to be working quite well at the moment.

I'm wondering though about running 2 separate timers linked to a single thermostat and whether that might be an option to safegard the chance of possible overheating caused by the spot lamp?? Just thoughts! :lol: The on and off lighting was bugging me also :lol:

So we don't need to have lighting in the click clack tub if we have it half on and half off the heat mat? I thought they would need some sort of lighting as well? Oh well going to URS while we are in Adelaide tomorrow, so I guess that Tim Mensforth will set us straight eh? Cheers Cheryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back