FUNNY RESCUES

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hugsta

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I thought I would share a couple or f recent rescues I have done recently which I thought to be amusing.

The first came through as a call for a metre long black snake in a shed. So after travelling 20mins to the callers house I made my up the back to the shed. After carefully moving things about in search of the black snake, while the owner carried on about how dangerous it was to have it in is back yard, I came across an injured blue tongue about 7 inches long. The guy thought it was venomous as well. Unfortunately the bluey died before I even got home.

The second call was for a 2 metre long brown snake in a building at a school. I arrived at the school and spoke to the security gaurd who had seen go across the courtyard and towards the garden shed. He saw it's tail hanging out the door and quickly jammed the door shut locking the "offending" animal inside.
I had to get the keys off him to open the door as he wouldn't go near it in case it was still under the door. After opeing the door I found it to be a janitors sylle shed with brooms and rubbush bine etc all around. So the slow and very careful task of removing everything started, making sure to check everything before it was removed. After removing most of the things I saw a tail move under a pallet, "odd looking tail for a brown" I thought myself. After finally getting to the animal I removed a big fat healthy bluetongue about a foot long. The guy insisted there was a brown snake in there, which there wasn,t. He claimed it must have escaped through the jammed shut door.....LOL

And finally, the rescue to top all rescues. I recieved a call for a snake in a guys backyard. After chatting to him he described it as being brown with yellowish spots and a large head........Carpet I thought, but warned him to stay away. I called him again when I neared to check if it was still there and if it had moved. "it has moved slightly but it is still there" he said. I found this quite odd as it was raining and quite cold and put it down to being either injured or dead.
I arrived at the guys house with NCHERPS to find this guy in a bit of a panic as he hated snakes. Neil got the hook and bag and I went to check the snake. Sure enough, there it was lying in his backyard. As I approached I noticed a flared head and instantly new it was a Cobra, after a brief second something registered there was something not right. I took a closer look and realised this was a kids fake rubber snake which had this guy in state of terror. After i picked it up and started laughing he was extremely apologetic. Neil and myself had a great laugh all the same and so did the ppl at the WIRES office.

So there you go, it is amazing what ppl think they see. I never make fun of these ppl as they know no better and are doing the animals a favour by calling us out, however it does get frustrating at times, but also quite comical when they come it with a vairety of excuses as to waht they saw.

lol.... and all while doing something you love to do, helping people out at the same time and gettin a laugh... sounds great

Wouldn't give it up for the world shax as you never know what you'll get next. :D

I confiscate the rubber snakes. My daughter has three now. I cant believe some people.

Excellent..I guess some jobs are harder than other but all would be a wealth of experience.

Snake calls,...from Brown to blue tounge.... :D , some people can be so sure its dangerous....

oh thats reminds me I rescues a small skink from certain death the other day at work, yep saved him from the bobcat relocated him to not so dangerous area

lol, isnt it amazing how a deadly "king brown" or death adder can become a bluetongue so quickly ;)

LOl, I love hearing about about your rescues Darren, You really must keep a camera on hand for pics of these venomous bluies and toys-r-usii snakes! God I envy you mate, I really have to get some wheels and join wires/syd wildlife myself, not everyone can say they enjoy their job, lucky bugger! keep em coming please!!! :D

It is fun doing rescues, I love it. Always a different experience with each call. People are so sure about what they saw that it is not funny. Even when you prove them wrong they still like to debate it with you. Quite funny.
I also rescued a little skink from the same place as the second blue tongue, maybe that was his brown snake.....LOL

LOl I hope you keep a big hook and welders gloves for those Huggy! :lol:

Common those magical browns that morph into bluetongues.
A couple of other memorable reptile rescues

A large bluetongue at the counter of a St George bank in the centre of town, call came through to me from the police radio room. Amongst fits of laughter my request to the radio operator for special ops backup was denied.

A woman spent 5 nights in a motel because of the "snake" she could hear in her roof. It was just that foil lining stuff flapping in the breeze and dragging across the roof beams.

The blonde with the somewhat mangled snake egg in a jar she found in the garden of her new house. I was asked to call into her place of work to ID this thing and it did look somewhat eggy but had a very small "China" moulded into it. Funny enough already you may say, but she sold glasses for a living.

Family new to town and called to ID lizards in the new flat, what sounded to be a gecko. Been 42 degree days and all windows and doors shut, air con turned off and vents closed (to prevent them dropping on their heads). Reassured the woman that they were totally harmless, all's good for a couple of hours. Called back to the same place for a black snake on the verandah of the unit next door, the old lady had a rubber snake there to ward off the starlings that poo on her outdoor setting so problem solved.........not. This woman was so irrational that she wanted the rubber snake removed no matter what, the old lady refused and went back inside. Luckily by this time the husband had arrived home for lunch and we eventually calmed her down.
Husband was so embarrassed he followed me out to the car and told me that she wont even look at a packet of "snakes alive". :D

pmsl..n2d, funny stuff, ive been to a few rubber snakes as well, and even black plastic that somehow looked like a snake ,also had snakes in swimming pools ,bird netting and beercans,the ones in the plumbing are fun to huh
baz

I also went to a snake rescue that turned out to be a rubber snake. However this turned out to be my own boy?s rubber snake we had lying around the yard. I suspect a dog had picked it up and taken it around the corner and dropped it on this person?s lawn.

I have got dozens of funny stories as I did snake removals for many years both in Wollongong and far North Queensland relocating just about everything from blue tongues to Taipans.

No charge for removal of a rubber snake BIGTOE, the laugh is worth way more than what you could charge....LOL

Tell us some of your funny ones Pilbara, I know I would like to hear them as well as many others.:D

I recently got called to a reasonable sized panoptes in a empty pool. There was a crowd watching me at the time and the bloody monitor was up on its hind legs, mouth wide open, hissing and lunging at me trying to give me a love bite. I must admit i was a bit intimidated as it was just repeatedly going at me. In the end i caught it mid lunge in a blanket. Certainly had the old adreneline pumping thats for sure.

The people who were watching were aboriginal and told us we were there cause the lizard was too small to eat, not because they couldnt get it themselves. Yeah right. With the tail it would have gone close on 1.7 meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back