Green Rat water

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retic

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a product that can be put in rodent drinking water to stop it going green ? We change the water twice a week but it still goes green, obviously the stuff you put in ponds is no good it must be harmless to drink.
My wife says her Dad used something in the UK for aviaries but can't remember what it was called.
Thanks.

Yes, you can get tablets from most major pet / pond shops to clear the water. I have used it in turtle ponds and was pretty good but they are of high consentrate for ponds and don't know how you could work out dosage for small amounts of water.

Dont really know but perhaps something that will absorb nitrates such as nitra-zorb or purigen. Ok for turtle water, but as for rat drinking water, not sure. Can you reduce the level of light the water is exposed to?

Jason, that's what I was saying about using the stuff for ponds as I think it might be poisonous, the stuff I am after is completely harmless to animals and is apparently made for that purpose.

Olive, it seems to affect all the bottles whether they are clear or covered and unfortunately we can't keep the light out anymore or the smell builds up if we cover things up.

It was suggested to me once that those "britta" water filters are useful at reducing the nutrient level of water (nitrates) as well as chlorine and ammonia. Havent tried them though.

I know it looks bad, but is it doing anything to the rats? I would think washing them out would still be better than chemicals, as they are all some type of poison. The turtles and fish have no ill effects from it but i would persist with washing bottles out.

Boa,

I have seen in fish shops oxygen tablets that oxygenate the water slowly helping to reduce alge build up.

It might work and i am guessing it would be safe to drink as it is only oxygeated water.

Cheers

I wouldnt think a little algae in the water would hurt the rats or the reptiles. Snake prey dosent often drink sparkling clear perfectly pure water in the wild. AS Olivehydra said, reduce the light if possible. Is it algae onm the container or the water itself goes green? Change it more often! :)

Thanks for all the ideas, the oxygen tablets might work. It isn't the fact that the algae will do the animals any harm it's just that it doesn't look appealing. We change the water twice a week and can't really do it more often unfortunately. It is the fact that the bottle goes green, the water itself is still clear except for some of the green that comes away and floats in the water.

We just use the opaque water bottles from URS, and never have any probs. If you spray paint your bottles black, that would stop any light getting in. Dave used to do that for his hydroponic water tubs(for vegies only), and he never had any probs with any algae. We also just use rain water these days for watering. Cheers Cheryl

If you spray paint your bottles black, that would stop any light getting in.

Such a simple and permanent solution, well done Dave.

Paint them white or silver. Doesn't matter what colour provided minimal light gets through.

If you spray them black you wont know if the algae is there anyway... that wil fix them from not looking appealing.

I guess if you sprayed em black, they would only heat up if you had them sitting in the sun? Also the paint, whatever colour should stop the Algae developing? That's our thoughts on the matter anyway. Cheers Cheryl

I dont know what whether the algae is dangerous or not but the RSPCA seems to think it constitutes poor hygien and will cite it amonst evidence of maltreatment and neglect.
Some algaes are toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back