what can live together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley_morris22

Reaction score
i am thinking of building an outdoor setup,
so what can live togeter ie- turtles(what spicies) with bearded dreagon with EWD.
im planing on boulding a decent size one. maby 6m x6m

any help would be great.

thansk
ashley

If you are building an enclosure that big, I would suggest putting in partitions then you can keep species separated. This is the best method if you want breed them with out the babies getting eaten.

6x6m thats a good size :D I wish i had that sort of space.
In a 6x6m enclosure with a large pond i think any species of turtle will be fine with beardies and water dragons, provided they are all about they same sort of size(small lizards may get eaten by large turtles and vice versa).
At differant times i have kept water dragons and beardies with saw shells and maquarie turtles without any issues, except when they where confined in a fishtank as juveniles when a water dragon got a minor tail nip when i didnt feed the turtles for afew days.
In my avairy(4x3m) there have never been any problems as they are not stuck with each other so to speak.

I personally wouldnt seperate the enclosure except for a double door entrance.

i have a question.... is it possible 4 a bearded and an angle headed dragon 2 live together....?

Yes punk_uzi, but only very breifly and I would only suggest it if you really want to power feed your beardy.

is there any type of lizzard/dragon a bearded can live with or are they all just good meals 4 them?

in terms of inside caging Punk_uzi I wouldn't put a beardie with anything else. They could live with water dragons but their housing requirements are so different it would be silly. You could put blueys in with them but they will probably fight.

I keep young 2 Water Dragons in with a female P. barbata(my males are too territorial), they're fine, I've seen wild Water Dragons living in the garden of a parking lot at the local landscapers, nowhere near water, they can be kept together, you just need to be careful, although I do think it is best for them to be housed only with their own species inside, but it's possible.

Ashley, I know of people whgo have housed those species together outside no problems, give them places to hide, places to get away from others and make sure their needs are met.

yeah alright then... i think i'll keep them seperate when i do get them though.... just incase.....

More importantly pink is to remember that you dont put big ones with little ones and you don't put two boys together with one or more girls.

Punk_uzi...I gotta say I like your style. You ask questions & then actually listen to the answers. Thank you for being a great source of info (I've been reading the answers to your questions) & not being a stubborn blockhead. Some of these guys have so much info to give out for those of us willing to listen. Cheers mate. :D

Kath

Peter, I've kept beardys and blueys together for most of my herping career and never had a problem as long as they are similar size and you don't starve them, same with shinglebacks. They haven't even bothered each other in breeding season.

Hi Guys, On this same topic...

We just came back from a short stay in Sydney, while we were there we went up to Gosford to visit the Australian Reptile Park, awesome fun. They had some large pits (maybe 3mx2m) of mixed species. One of them had around 4-6 fully grown blue tongues with a colony of young Cunnighams skinks, a pair or full grown Cunninghams, Jacky Dragons and Water Skinks. They had tons of cover and hides for them all, and they all looked quite happy and content.

My question is, how would Cunninghams go with blueys outside in Melbourne? We're planning on building a 6ftx3ft pit, and would love to keep these two together, but everything i've read has said that it's not a good idea. Has anyone done this in before?

They also had a pit with two eastern tiger snakes, and one copperhead. There were a few water dragons running around, and some turtles too. Crazy! :shock: :D

That reptile park sounds awesome.... where abouts in Gosford was it???

My responses in this thread have all been based around keeping different species together in an indoor tank. It is totally different if you are going to keep them outdoors. I have wild water skinks living with my EWD's and tutles at home (I only discovered them 2 days ago). The water dragons will eat them if they can get hold of them. To say they can co-habit is fine but I would imagine that the skinks would be somewhat stressed. But where they are of a similar size that would work. Although I have always noticed blue tongues bullying the water dragons for food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back