Is this an Eastern Brown Snake????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfcop24

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Spotted this when we were camping last week....

It was sunning itself on the bank of the Clarence River....

Clarence River is Northern NSW..... North East of Tenterfield for those that dont know...

Just want to confirm my thoughts of it being an Eastern Brown......?????

Last edited:
Very hard to tell from that pic. Looks like he just shed though - he's so shiny!

Wow it looks like a big sucker, id say theres every chance it is ( not the best pic).

Im unsure of where the clarence river area is, is it far enough west to be a mulga?

Could even be a spotted black (brownish form).

sorry got any better pics?

yeah as stated... could well be but a little hard to tell from that picture

Should have picked him up for a closer look... ;)
Just kidding.

I agree with Eastern Brown or Coastal Taipan.... One would think this area would be right on the range limit of the Taipan but it really does have a taipan looking head and body I think. Not far enough west for Mulga's and to slender for its size to be a spotted black. There have been plenty of Coastal Tais found west of the ranges specially along rivers and creeks. If its a eastern brown, its a nice fella.

Yeah I was hoping to get a closer pic but as soon as I went to hope out of the vehicle it took off.....

Damn quick too, so I am glad I wasnt walking on a narrow track and not seen it.........

I would hate to have been tagged from him..... We were like 1.5 hrs drive from Tenterfield, along dirt roads.... With No Mobile Phone Service....... ( Though I did have in my First Aid Kit a Snake Bite Kit.....)

he looks like a coastal taipan with the creamy coloured head and shape, but it could just be the photo so im leaning towards them both :) (%55 coastal, %45 brown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back