Gordo's turtle pond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
By popular demand, here is how i built my turt pond.

Chose the site
DSCF1749.jpg

cleared it and leveled the base where the bessa blocks would go
DSCF1750.jpg

Layed in the blocks, it is 8x8x3 blocks,
DSCF1751.jpg

layed the 2nd row
DSCF1752.jpg

I didn't photograph this but i reiforced it with 3-4ft long stakes of reo and then core filled with dirt and compacted it nice and tight. don't bother in filling it if you are not going to do this.

Put the liner in
DSCF1753.jpg

and put the last layer of blocks in
DSCF1754.jpg

Finally we put some capping stones on and planted it resulting in this
DSCF5472.jpg

Took me 2 solid days of work and about $3-400 i didn't pay for the reo so that would be extra. Total size is 3x3x1m and i would suggest checking with your pool authority on the regulations of something this size before starting it.

that is soooooo cool

I hope its not copyrighted :p I need to pinch the idea - perfect for people who are renting - no holes to dig YAY

Matt

It is the only type of pond that should be built in thr tropical areas i recon. There is no way a toad could get inside that pond and lay it's stinkingload.

It is the only type of pond that should be built in thr tropical areas i recon. There is no way a toad could get inside that pond and lay it's stinkingload.

Just for the record, large adult Cane Toads can jump up to 600mm high.
We had to do a lot of research when we moved our turtles into sunny Qld and spent weeks and lots of Cane Toads testing the theory.

Love the toilet

heres pics of my $40 turtle pond

P1090416.jpg

P1090453.jpg

P1090478.jpg

I'd keep an eye on the turtles plastron after continual sliding into the water and climbing out over the sides of the pond covered with abrasive pebbles. Could lead to permanent scarring or worse!

Last edited:
I'd kep an eye on the turtles plastron after continual sliding into the water and climbing out over the sides of the pond covered with abrasive pebbles. Could lead to permanent scarring or worse!

They are actually quite smooth as i polished them back before the pond went in, (did bit of research) they also tend to use the rock steps i made for them as well.

What other reptiles are compatible with the turtles I intend extending the enclosure?

They are actually quite smooth as i polished them back before the pond went in, (did bit of research) they also tend to use the rock steps i made for them as well.

What other reptiles are compatible with the turtles I intend extending the enclosure?

I have seen Blue-tongued lizards and Bearded Dragon's kept in the same enclosure with a turtle pond. All seemed to get along fine. Water dragons aren't usually a good option as they are very 'movement orientated' and will eat or sometimes bite anything that moves. That would be a problem if your turtles lay eggs and they hatch during the day.

Other than that, water skinks would be good.

How do you go about smoothing rocks that are stuck on the surface of a fibreglass pond?

if you have the room you can house other turtles, eastern waterdragons and mertons water monitors can all be housed together if you have a decent enough enclosure/pond iv also seen mitchells water monitors housed with turtles here at the perth zoo

I have seen Blue-tongued lizards and Bearded Dragon's kept in the same enclosure with a turtle pond. All seemed to get along fine. Water dragons aren't usually a good option as they are very 'movement orientated' and will eat or sometimes bite anything that moves. That would be a problem if your turtles lay eggs and they hatch during the day.

Other than that, water skinks would be good.

How do you go about smoothing rocks that are stuck on the surface of a fibreglass pond?

With an abrasive and elbow grease, same as you use for lapidary.

Well Gordo:) got me motivated no end, after the little turtle pond decided to go a bit bigger,
2 Days and around $400 so far not including booze.

3d96a01b.jpg

d3a7d6bd.jpg

cf0356e0.jpg

fd4b4b99.jpg

152b3275.jpg

a4efe596.jpg

That looks Brilliant Ink!

Only thing i'd change is all the exotic fish and plants to some pretty, witty and gay natives :lol: but that looks great good work!

Next thing i think i'm going to do is put some underwater up lights into my pond, i recon that would look trouse!

That looks Brilliant Ink!

Only thing i'd change is all the exotic fish and plants to some pretty, witty and gay natives :lol: but that looks great good work!

Next thing i think i'm going to do is put some underwater up lights into my pond, i recon that would look trouse!

The exotics are going to end up as food :D

All three ponds look fantastic! I haven't even got my tank sorted, and already you've got me motivated for the pond upgrade.

Absolutely love it Gordo.. well done.. and money well spent..
Reckon i shood make myself one of those..
Looks awesome..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back