Cool pics from 1988 GEO Magazine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpheus21

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Here are some cool pics I found in a 1988 GEO magazine (March-May 1988 Volume 10 Number1) from an article about a cave near the summit of Mount Etna on QLD's central coast. The bats are little bent-wings. In the article it list the snake as being a childrens python (Liasis childreni), when it is obviously a maccie (Liasis or Antersia(sp) maculosus and that some specimens were 2.5m long :shock: . I can understand the name being wrong because of the time but since when have maccies been able to get up to 2.5m? Love the frogs :D

Photos and text by Reg Morrison

That's amazing the way the frog is eating the python, I bet that doesn't happen to aften.....

Mybe not Fuscus but he certainly sorted the snake out. It is usually the other way round, snake eats frog not frog eats snake.

LOl cool pics! Go kermit. .....It would have spat the python, coulda kept the bat down tho. :D

Back in 1988 all Childrens Pythons were known as Liasis childreni. Maculosus was not a recognised species back then. As for the 2.5 metres mentioned, that would be referring to the Carpet Pythons that also prey on the Bats at Mt Etna. The writer has the 2 species confussed.

great pics I remember them well so lond ago, the frog by the way couldnt swallow the python and spat it out,

At 2.5 meteres for the snake that frog must be massive.
Im scared.

i feel sorry for the bats......
but great pics!!!!!!

bigguy said:
Back in 1988 all Childrens Pythons were known as Liasis childreni. Maculosus was not a recognised species back then. As for the 2.5 metres mentioned, that would be referring to the Carpet Pythons that also prey on the Bats at Mt Etna. The writer has the 2 species confussed.

you might find Bob that both species were know back then as Bothrochilus childreni and Bothrochilus maculosus. Mirtchin (1992), Gow(1989), cogger (1992), ehman(1992) and wilson and knowles (1988) had the n accepted Smiths division of the childreni complex. Devided into three species childreni, maculosus and stimsoni all under Bothrochilus, however perthensis (anthill/pigmy childrens python) were wrongely thourght to be either childreni or stinsoni

It says the python is 1 meter Peter. Frog would be an adult, up to 12-14cm. :wink:

Bryony said:
i feel sorry for the bats......
but great pics!!!!!!

The bats in those caves breed like mice and rats.

Do you feel sorry for the rats at feeding time? or for the ones that you so calously cut the eyes out of for research?? :wink:

LMAO

Cheers, Alan.

P.s, this is a joke post Bry, im just geeing you up, not having a go at ya. :p

The frogs in bat caves feed mainly on the insects attracted to the bat droppings. But any bats that fall to the floor are fair game.
Also if a mother bat is taken by a predator (like a mac), then her youngster starves. When it gets too week it falls and the frogs (and others) finish it off. In a way, you could say the frog is doing the bat a favor.

LMAO shermy........they don't miss their eyes ;)

The frogs are the hoovers of the animal world!
lol

Nice pics Morpheous, very interesting, stuff ya dont normally see.
cheers
ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back