English Lesson for Herpers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss B

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With all this talk of reptile eggs lately, I keep seeing the words "layed" and "laid" and never know which one to use. Until today, when I finally decided to consult my trusty dictionary - only to discover that the word "layed" does not even exist :|

Lay (verb) : 'to lay eggs'

Laid (verb) (past tense of of lay) : 'it laid eggs'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
therefore...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correct: "my python laid eggs today"

Incorrect: "my python layed eggs today"

Lesson over ;)

But can your python get laid today?

Or was it layed down to rest? (incorrect)

Last edited:
Ok... Miss B... Apostrophe lesson...

Explain why Your and You're are different - I can start you off with You're is You Are... You can complete it... :p

ok... I'm (short for I am) over it. NOTE THE FULL STOP. It's (short for it is) holidays. FULL STOP AGAIN. It hurts to think. And again FULL STOP!

Kids these days...

So your post should read:

I'm over it. It's holidays. It hurts to think.

Your indicates possession, as in : "that's your python"

You're is the contraction of 'you are', as in : "you're replying to my thread"

:D

It took me ages to figure out how these lyrics by Snow Patrol could possibly be gramatically correct:

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

The verb "to lie" has got to be one of the most complicated simple words there is!

You lie about the lying - you only lay down to law when you got laid off and went to home and lay down next to the dog that was lying right there next to you. But he's always there when you lie down!

It is hard to keep ones grammar as correct as possible with the way Australians use slang. My partners mother is a school teacher so i do get some help sometimes although spelling is not her strong point. We play scrabble alot.

Oh dear, "alot" is one of my pet hates - correct: a lot ;) two separate words. Even used correctly it is still not a very good term to use - so many better synonyms!
We play scrabble often.......
There are many snakes I would like to purchase......

And don't forget ownership - My partner's mother...:D
At least you can spell grammar though, so many people say "grammer"

Last edited:
ok... I'm (short for I am) over it. NOTE THE FULL STOP. It's (short for it is) holidays. FULL STOP AGAIN. It hurts to think. And again FULL STOP!

Kids these days...

So your post should read:

I'm over it. It's holidays. It hurts to think.

Hey, don't blame us, I am fifteen and I use better grammar than you, you start sentences with capital letters, like Ok, not ok.

Adults these days... :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back