100% het for Albino. What's it mean??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get your drift but it would have to be say 75% jungle and say 25% coastal and carrying a single jag gene. This did occur to me after I had posted my query. (Clearly the grey matter was none too functional this morning.)

So the full answer to ZacBevan's question is that the cross would yeild animals that were 87.5% jungle with a 50% chance of them being jags and a 50% chance of them not.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
So I know this thread is a few years back, but I have a question.. if the chances are you’ll get normal and/or hets.. how do you tell which ones you have if they both look normal??

So I know this thread is a few years back, but I have a question.. if the chances are you’ll get normal and/or hets.. how do you tell which ones you have if they both look normal??
You don’t, untill you breed them

When hets are appointed with a % value thats the possiblity of them carrything the trait.
Hence if I breed 2 100% hets for Albino I should typically get (25% Albino, 50% het & 25% wild type)

As Hets look the same as the wild type animals there is a 2 in 3 chance of the non visuals being het (or 66%)

Here's a link to a more recent thread on the value of buying hets which carries some more information that might be worth reading.

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/buying-poss-hets-worth-it.220510/

Hey guys im just getting my head around breeding pythons and planning to do so for the first time next season. But I just have two quick questions. Is it too late to pair up a couple of my snakes now to breed for this season and if you pair a 100% het alb to a wild type what could u expect to produce? Cheers guys ;)

Hey guys im just getting my head around breeding pythons and planning to do so for the first time next season. But I just have two quick questions. Is it too late to pair up a couple of my snakes now to breed for this season and if you pair a 100% het alb to a wild type what could u expect to produce? Cheers guys ;)
It's clear from your questions that you don't know a lot about the subject and I would suggest you invest in a good book on breeding Australian pythons plus there is a lot of info on old threads here. You need to cool your cage temps down in autumn to stimulate breeding activity and it is way too late for this season. Often first time breeders need to be put through a seasonal cooling cycle the year before they will be ready to breed.
Mating a het with a natural will just produce naturals, if you want any albinos at all you need at least a pair of hets, the enclosed chart will help explain this. If you are breeding to sell the hatchlings it will be very hard to sell cross breed albinos let alone hets.
IMG_20150223_0001.jpg

Whether or not it's too late depends on species. For most things, yes, it is, for others, no, it's not. The latest snakes I've ever bred were Death Adders, I generally wouldn't bother pairing them up until October, and I tried pairing them up as late as February, which was successful. For most pythons it's too late, but I definitely know of many cases with several species which have been done later than now including Water Pythons, Green Pythons, Carpet Pythons and Children's Pythons.

A 100% het crossed with a wildtype ('natural') will produce all 50% possible hets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back