About to get my first snake/s

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So if all goes to plan, I should have a pair of jungles soon, but just have a couple of questions before I get them.

As it stands, I work with snakes already so I'm used to handling them, though I did get tagged pretty good by a sub-adult jungle the other day due to careless feeding on my part.
I'll be getting juveniles and already have a click clack for them as well as hides, water etc. but I do have a question about heating. I live in Cairns where it is fairly warm already and for my turtle I simply use a 40w incandescent lightbulb just over 15cm above his basking area as a heat source. Would this a suitable setup for snakes as well if I set it up down one end of the click clack as well, so there's a temperature gradient?

as long as the temps stay suitable at the basking site that would be ok ,i would still use a thermostat though,on really hot days it may get too hot.
where are you working ??

Working at Kuranda Koala Gardens. I should have mentioned I was going to hook up any heat source to a thermostat to help regulate temperature. Thanks good to have confirmation though. Thanks. :)

Firstly congratulations on your soon to be a arrivals, must be very exciting, and also it reguards to heating it seems that on average most people in cairns who have snakes don't use a heat source during summer, which is kinda understandable cos I mean you know how hot it gets.

Super exciting! I didn't think I'd really need a strong heat source, but I'll still have one hooked up to a thermo just to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to pets. I'm planning to breed my own food source too, depending on what they're currently being fed.

How big will the enclosures be? Good luck with the jungles, I recently got a pair of hypo coastals, ATM being small there in clickclacks on a heat cord, soon there going to double the size enclosure bout 300 300 300 them into a 3 or 4 footer.
Might have to come see you at the zoo in august, were heading up for a friends wedding...

Depends on how big they get and how fast but probably finish in a 4ft or bigger. I have the space to put in a fairly large enclosure and some time next year I'll getting an olive python. I'm planning on a 6-8ft enclosure for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back