adelaide zoo rosenbergs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks david, i couldnt work out how to do it on my phone.

Well done Adelaide zoo, this is what its about, preservation of a species through breeding not just about $$$$$$. well done

There would be a bit too do with money, by breeding them i now want to go there and therefore spend money in their zoo... lol

for the sake of the presevation fact alone, I hope.

Well done Adelaide zoo, this is what its about, preservation of a species through breeding not just about $$$$$$. well done
Actually, zoos are all about public education and the public developing a connection with the animals so they may think about conservation. The number of animals bred in zoos is a drop in the ocean compared to what would be needed to preserve any species. There have been surprisingly few examples of zoos actually 'saving' species and in most instances it's been a concerted effort of many zoos working together, often with large off-site breeding facilities. A single zoo producing one clutch of heathies is a PR exercise for the marketing department (therefore the news article) rather than a conservation measure, but it helps put the animals in the public eye, as we're seeing right here. This is coming from someone that's worked in the industry for a fair while.

very nice animals, i wonder if we will ever be able to get them in the hoby?
They're already in the hobby. The thing is, they have those bright colours as babies, but as adults are mostly black and white and look like a dull coloured lace monitor (although they're not closely related, but are related to sand goannas).

varanus rosenbergi? if so one of the few monitors you can actually keep in W.A :)

Spoke to the zoo and there going to release some into a conservation wildlife park. I was hoping to buy one to breed with mine. The kangaroo island type seem to hold some of there colours(mine is around 1year and 3 months). If u search this site for boa heath monitor youll see how much he held his colours as a full grown adult.

Attachments

• IMG_20111014_162711.jpg
    IMG_20111014_162711.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 168
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back