Alternative food source

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithers

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all ;)

Can anyone tell me if setting up a culture of tiger worms to fed my geckos is a good thing please. And if there's any pro's or con's to doing so.

Regards,
Brett

agreed, what are tiger worms, im always looking for variety,...

my amyae would kill for superworms, have u tried them?
(i only feed off teh freshly shed ones tho,....)

Yes, tiger worms are one of the worms used in worm farms & for composting.

I haven't tried these with the geckos, but my blueys eat them occasionally & I also give them to my fish.

If you want Smithers, I'll give it a go tonight, but amyae being a desert species, not sure what they'll think of worms. I'll have to put them on a small dish or something so their slime doesn't pick up too many grains of sand.

Cons: They won't eat them
Pros: Variety of diet (if they eat them), if not, you have yourself a worm farm anyway, & all the benefits associated with it.

Yes, tiger worms are one of the worms used in worm farms & for composting.

I haven't tried these with the geckos, but my blueys eat them occasionally & I also give them to my fish.

If you want Smithers, I'll give it a go tonight, but amyae being a desert species, not sure what they'll think of worms. I'll have to put them on a small dish or something so their slime doesn't pick up too many grains of sand.

Cons: They won't eat them
Pros: Variety of diet (if they eat them), if not, you have yourself a worm farm anyway, & all the benefits associated with it.

I would be also interested in hearing how u go feeding them to your gecko.
Were would you be able to buy them??
Cheers
Kyle.

Were would you be able to buy them??
I maintain a worm farm at home so I have my own supply. Initially I bought a box of them when I got the worm farm, to start the colony.

The ones you get from the usual suppliers of crickets & woodies (worms are in a round tub) are the same.

The gex really get turned on by movement, so woodies are one of their faves. To be honest, I'm not overly confident they'll take much interest in worms, but.....you never know.

Thanks Sock,
My Cichlids loved them too. Cons: I was concerned if anything could be passed onto the geckos like a bacteria or anything detrimental to the animal in short or long term. Yeah my plants will love the by-product for sure.

I would have no idea about bacterias etc mate.

But then again I have no problem slinging them some wild crickets, grasshoppers, moths etc from time to time either.

I would have no idea about bacterias etc mate.

But then again I have no problem slinging them some wild crickets, grasshoppers, moths etc from time to time either.

Kool Thanks mate appreciate your replies ;)

I used to feed them to my cichlids too, I used to put them in a small container for a few days to give them time to pass what was still in the system so to speak

Tried a few worms in with them last night, no interest whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back