are snakes loyal?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I want to ask some of you people who are experienced with snakes a question, because I'll hopefully be getting my first snake pretty soon (before the end of this month). Are snakes loyal? Are they loyal to their owners, like a dog? Or are they too stupid and un-perceptive to know whose who? Can they actually tell their owner apart from other people? The hand that feeds it and looks after it? I want a snake that will only let me handle him, but if anyone else tries to pick it up, I want it to shred them up. I've owned a few species of lizards but haven't had a snake yet so I would be very interested to know. Thanks.

from my experiances id say yes others would disagree but 2 of my snakes seem loyal one will only let certain people handle it that always handle it but people it doesnt know it attacts straight away.

The other only likes my daughter as she sits infront of the encloser and it must sense her as it comes out of its hide and crawls up to her but for any one else its a real effort to even get her attention

hope this helps

I want a snake that will only let me handle him, but if anyone else tries to pick it up, I want it to shred them up.

I dont wish to come down hard on a newbie but to me this sounds like you want to own a snake for egotistical reasons. The same as owning a pittbull over say a german shephard.The fact that you want a pet to rip people to shreds is just stupidity on your part.And posting such in this forum will lead to many people making similar remarks to mine as well as many statements of informing NPWS not to issue such keepers with licences.

I will however answer your questions.The fact is if handled frequently your snake will become docile (every snake has its own personality of course).

DISCOURAGING for you isnt it? :(

Perhaps a short necked giraffe or maybe a kangawallafox
would be more suited to your requirements.

G'day Puff

it sounds like you want your snake to be personal and for noone else to get invovled with it. I don't believe that you actually want it to bite other people.

Snakes are not the smartest animal - you don't see them in circus acts so you'll probably find that it will get used to your way of handling it and may be less confortable with other people.

There's also a down side to having a pet that noone else can handle. When it comes to vet trips or you need someone else to look after it one day you'd end up with problems.

Hope you get a snake that you have fun with - if you don't want other people to hanlde - don't let them.

:)

G'day Puff.

Snakes are reptiles, and as such, have a fairly limited intelligence. Their main interest is food, mating and heat regulation (sounds a bit like me! :lol: ).

In my opinion, snakes will get used to your scent, and feel comfortable with you if you handle them right.

With regular gentle handling, they will come to realise that this sort of thing will not harm them and they'll be comfortable with reasonable handling. By reasonable handling, I mean 30 minutes or so at a time. From what I've read, they can be stressed by overhandling.

I've noticed that when someone else handles my snakes, quite often they'll try to get back to me - probably because I have a familiar scent.

Anyhow, I suggest you really don't want a snake that will readily bite ANYONE.

Then, thinkl about public liability! Think about what happens if someone's dog bites a person! People have been sued in such circumstances.

Apart from the public liability aspect, what happens if you change deodorant or similar? The different scent may fool your snake into thinking you're someone else! Do you REALLY want to do this? I'd suggest not!

Very well said Cyber, I?m with you on this one!

But to answer the question of Puff, here is an exert out of a snake book:

Snakes, like all reptiles, lack the enlarged cerebral hemispheres found in birds and mammals ? the part of the brain that controls learning and thought. Consequently, snakes are not what we would consider intelligent. They are creatures of instinct and habit. Captive snakes will learn when their regularly scheduled feeding time is, and their owners will often find them waiting. They have no emotions as we know them, though they certainly feel things, such as pain.

Artie

my childrens will come out of the hiderock when i open the cage door, but won't when anyone else does.

I agree with Artie's post. The snake's not gunna know you. It'll tolerate you, or anyone else handling it if you do it properly.I think the operative word in my post is tolerate.
Get a dog if you want an animal that will recognise you and be loyal and love you. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back