Bearded dragon enclosure size - converting a cabinet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stargazer13

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping for a bit advice re. enclosure size for an adult beardie.

I have a nice solid wood cabinet with glass doors that I want to convert to an enclosure.
It's 120 x 55 x 30cm so about 200L

I know the length and height is fine but I'm unsure if the depth will be okay?

Also, not sure if this makes a difference but it has a shelf half way up on one side, so will have some added space for the beardie move around on a partial second level too

Thanks in advance

Probably not deep enough, I only googled it though, but the minimum that I found was 90 x 45 x 45. the prefered size was 120 x 60 x 60. I'm a snake person so I don't have much experience with beardies. there will be people here that know a lot more than me. Also I got those dimensions off google, so they could be inaccurate.
[doublepost=1530156627,1530156493][/doublepost]Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I'm just bored at work running down the clock.

Thanks for your thoughts Mick, sadly thinking the same thing..
would've saved me some $$ and would've looked beautiful but ah well, i'll wait and see if any beardie people think differently

That's not a bad idea, thanks Mick, but i'm looking for a reptile that's good to handle, beardies seem the best from my research so far (partner won't let me get a snake yet haha)
Other thought is that this cabinet could be okay to raise a juvie knowing i'll have to upgrade the enclosure in a year (or less)

Length is fine, depth is OK, however height is an issue.
Your main issue is UVB - depending on the type of UVB you plan on using, many have a minimum distance requirement, as the UVB rays can actually be harmful over short distance.

Ideally, you'd want a taller cabinet with varying height options so your bearded can choose where he/she wants to be. They regulate their own temperature and UVB exposure, as long as you give them that option

Mine for example:

Beautiful enclosure Dave! And yes i see what you mean re. height variations. Back to the drawing board i think, either a new viv from the store or look at converting a tv cabinet if i can find one with better dimensions!

Thanks.
Where are you located? I regularly see suitable cabinets come up for sale on Gumtree in Vic. All depends on how big of a space you have to put it in as to how big you can go. I found the exact same cabinet I converted, a week later on Gumtree. In the days of 65"+ TV's, these cabinets are quickly becoming obsolete other than being used as non-tv furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back