~Bearded Dragon Handling~

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckby09

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm curious as to how often other Beardie keepers handle their dragons? I'd love to be able to have my Beardie out interacting and being more part of the family rather than just being held and then put back in her enclosure, but I'm not sure if I can trust her yet to not take off. She'd be coming up 2 years and is handled everyday. Would love to be able to comfortably sit her on the back of the lounge etc. Thank you! Sorry not sure if this has been posted before?

i handle mine every few days sometimes they like it and other times they try to run off lol

I handle mine every day at the very least..

Normaly walk around the house with my male and my shoulder for a couple of hours, or let him roam around my room while im watching TV, etc.

It is ok to handle beardies everyday i find they really like the attention.
I sit mine on my back rail and they sit there for hours.

yeah you can trust him. Don't worry about him running off, your probably gonna watch him fall asleep! (and he wouldn't run, he'd just walk around a little)

Just curious,
how old was your beardies when you started trusting them?
I am getting on near the end of this year and will definately have it out for hours on end every day with me.

I would trust mine... but they are small at the moment :( My girl is just the funniest thing ever! She watches us all day long and it doesnt matter what goes on, she is NEVER spooked. She isnt as happy "being held" as she is missing a leg and finds it hard to balance... but she loves riding on your shoulder or sitting on your lap being fed lol
On that note... mine love being hand fed. Its gotten to the point I hand feed them their greens every single day. But I work from home and have nothing better to do :p
But all beardies are different. I have two, the male doesnt like us being around and spooks at the drop of a hat however... he loves being handled and picked up and taken out of his cage and fights me going back in lol

Hand feed them regularly, get them used to your touch and movement and you will begin to trust them as much as they trust you. And my girl trusts me completely, shes like a little beardie dog :) Plus shirt walks (letting them cling to your shirt) are awesome, best way to 'bond'

Ari

Our girl "Maxi" is about 9 mths old now and she gets held every day by me and my kids but she seems edgy most of the time and ready to take off. A previous dragon i kept was quite different and happy to go to sleep on my chest, different temperament I spose?
I keep a very close eye on her when down on the floor, she's a bit sneaky and i have no doubt she'd try to get out! and she will try to eat any random fodder she finds on the carpet so i need to vac before she goes for a wander ;)

I imagine most beardies would be fine as long as you keep an eye on them. Pepper (adult male of mine) never strays too far... although he is really lazy!
If you're really unsure perhaps look into making her a harness?

i let mine run around the house pretty much every day...gotta be careful with one of em as she likes climbing up the stairs n i doubt shes aware of the big drop if she falls

I have mine out every day. My boy comes in the shower with me and seems to enjoy the water on his back. I put him out when I'm shampooing etc, but he comes right back in when I'm done. The others aren't so keen, so they go in the bath with a little water and sit quite happily till I get the towel for them and then they snuggle into it to get dry. I never even thought about getting beardies till recently and now I wish I'd got them sooner, they are great fun

i will be getting a dragon as soon as i can find a hatchie to buy. Handle them everyday. Get them used to you. Let them explore on your bed. Let them have fun when you bathe them.
They will warm up to ya man

Yeah I handle her everyday, but she still seems on edge a little and easily spooked. Perhaps it's her personality, but I will keep trying, give her some time she might change? Thanks everyone it has been great reading what you all do with your beardies!!!!

If your tank/enclosure is in a position where you walk past it often would help.
Rather than if it were stuck in the spare room or garage ect like mine lol.

Beardies start to really settle down around the 9-12 months old mark.

I think they do whatever they are so inclined, regardless of handling frequency, although
they do become tolerant of our interaction.

Hey Brettix, (Love your Avatar by they way!!) Funny you should say that because I've just moved her into my bedroom, where she still has people contact but it's not as noisy, have I done the wrong thing? I live in a smallish townhouse and the kiddies run through all the time playing, she seemed to be on edge and the kid next door taps on the glass so I moved her away.

I found cosmicwolf's post pretty funny :D

Would be very cute IMO, i never knew they get so friendly that they are willing to take part in everydays people's activities, especialy showering haha :D

my female hates me, and she hates people hahhaha i only get her out every couple of days i would like to do so more often but she bites and will even lunge at you if you peeve her off. I guess thats just the way she is, have tried to get her used to handling but she wont have it, she just wants to be left alone. Not to say she doesn't like to have a wander on the couch or the floor she just doesn't like to sit on your shoulder or be petted in your arms loool she is a loner.

Cosmic wolf that is classic! I have 4 - so far : p all completely different in personality, all have claimed my couch lol (it's a huge leather L shape and they love it to bits, big mama always falls asleep with her head between the cushions : ) Big papa jumps from his enclosure to my sholder when ever I open the door even if I'm just cleaning water dishes lol, Freddy is a sholder boy and would stay there all day if I let him and Nim is a sook who is spoilt by miss 6 so is a snob to me bahaha

I'm not big on letting them roam on the floor as they always manage to find stuff the vac missed, they're all really inquisitive I like having them on the couch as it's a controlled space and they can't take off under cabnets etc...but they do all try jumping off the couch so thinking of making a 'safe play area' for them lol they have had a few wanders and seem to like my daughters doll house couch : p

I find they let you know when they have had enough, but I do believe they enjoy the interaction - mine pace when they want out - they have they're own way of letting you know you just need to learn they're signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back