Bearded or netted?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
A friend of mine has been planing to get a small to medium sized lizard for a while. He has finally decided to get some sort of dragon which he has narrowed down to be either a netted or bearded dragon. so which is better for a first time keeper?

Bearded dragons are probably better.
They are easier to feed and available everywhere

Netted for mine. Had a beardie. Great animals don't get me wrong but they r like Commodore's. Everyone has one.

Now we have 4 x Netted's.....and haven't looked back.

Either way u will be happy.

Depends what he wants it for; for something to watch and observe natural behaviour then get a netted. They are a species best reserved for a display enclosure with minimal handling in my opinion.

If he wants a pet to handle then get a bearded. The reason they are like Commodores is because they are tried and proven, great handlers, easy to care for, etc. Will cost slightly more to feed and needs a bigger enclosure but more benefit gained from keeping it for your average first time owner.

Sometimes common can be boring but in this kind of case, there is (as mcloughlin mentioned before) a very good reason for them being so common. They are, and only a fool would deny it, a stand out captive pet lizard. If your friend wants a great handler and something with a heap of info about, a beardie is an unbeatable option.

Central netteds are a great animal too however they are harder to get your hands on but still pretty easy. They are not as big (which for an active first lizard can be somewhat harder than something with a bit of size IMO. (this may not play any role in the decision though) and whether this is good or bad for your friend, they have a relatively short life expectancy if I remember correctly.

Best of luck with the choice and the lizard! :p

Last edited:
Sometimes common can be boring but in this kind of case, there is (as mcloughlin mentioned before) a very good reason for them being so common. They are, and only a fool would deny it, a stand out captive pet lizard. If your friend wants a great handler and something with a heap of info about, a beardie is an unbeatable option.

Central netteds are a great animal too however they are harder to get your hands on but still pretty easy. They are not as big (which for an active first lizard can be somewhat harder than something with a bit of size IMO. (this may not play any role in the decision though) and whether this is good or bad for your friend, they have a relatively short life expectancy if I remember correctly.

Best of luck with the choice and the lizard! :p
We have had quite a few that exceed 9 years of age! There are plenty around if you know where to look or who to ask!

We have had quite a few that exceed 9 years of age! There are plenty around if you know where to look or who to ask!

9 years is a pretty good number for a netted. But yes they can live for that long and longer but in comparison to say a beardie they dont live all that long, however as I said, maybe the bloke doesnt want a very long lived pet. Yeah they are widely available but again when compared to beardies, you see "central beardie" on nearly every second for sale post lol. not quite, but getting there. Anyway, up to him. Whatever takes his fancy.

central beardies are fairly common as they make great pets,are easy to handle and easy to feed,if you want something a little different try pygmy beardies,not quite so common but still great pets and can be kept in smaller enclosures if space is a problem

netted dragons are the best lizards to keep.
bearded dragons are hell boring when adults! just sit on a log all day and crap.
netteds are active as hell and very entertaining! Espicially during bathing and feeding time!

netted dragons are the best lizards to keep.
bearded dragons are hell boring when adults! just sit on a log all day and crap.
netteds are active as hell and very entertaining! Espicially during bathing and feeding time!

I have to disagree netted dragons are boring as hell with no personality.

Answer to the op's question.
Both lizards are great for a first time keeper.
We're not comparing beardies or Lacies. That would be a different story.
It's up to your friend what he likes the most for a pet.
Not up to us.
Hope this helps.
Good luck : )

Hahaha just tell him to go with what takes his fancy. Both are great lizards. Beardies aren't boring as hell just..... um....... lazy as hell.

Everybody here is talking about beardies being better for handling? Netteds are awesome lizards for handling, not a problem to handle at all.

I own both beardies and netted's and i don't really favour one over the other. I handle my netted's just as much as my beardies, and i never had a problem, at first the netted's usually like jumping off your hand but if you handle them enough they quickly get tame and grip onto your finger.

The one down side with Beardie's are it's poo.... it can really stink up the place and you usually have to clean it instantly, also a beardie eats much more than a netted.

is it me or do beardie's poop always stink after they've had crickets and woodies dusted with calcium and vitamin powder

I find the key to handle netted's is not to restrict them in your hand. I hold them in my open palm and whilst this may sound risky, I am very selective as to where I handle my netted's.

is it me or do beardie's poop always stink after they've had crickets and woodies dusted with calcium and vitamin powder

I don't have a problem with beardie poop stinking.
My little ones don't stink but the big one does although he always lets me know he wants to go by headbutting the glass so I can take him outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back