Big big fish!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Heelssss, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike

Spike Not so new Member

I hate fishing comps just in my area there are 5 local fishing comps that are on every fortnight and if you bag out on 7 different species your the man. I think they should all run by catch and release.

2. Fuscus

Fuscus Power Seller Power Seller

In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
    Given the chance I would live off fish. When I lived in Cairns my freezer was always full of coral trout. In fact my diet consisted mainly of coral trout and tequila

3. SteveNT

SteveNT Very Well-Known Member

nice cod, do you usually carry them out of the water like that? :)

I wouldn't try it around here lol.

Last time I was out at Cobourg we couldn't catch a fish small enough to justify killing for just two of us. They were all released.

We just had to survive on huge black lipped oysters, painted crayfish and mud crabs (and beer)

It was tough!

Mud crab turns to mush if you freeze it! So do painted crays, the cell walls burst and all you have is goo!

Sharing is good, we're always happy to give fresh fish and crabs to friends and neighbours, it's good for the karma score!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. damian83

damian83 Very Well-Known Member

i can understand sharing a catch, but when its everyweek, and sometimes twice, it seems a bit of an over kill

5. SteveNT

Yep agreed. Cobourg was declared a Marine National Park after photos emerged of 300 (large) fish and 150 crays spread out on a beach then dumped! Just insane.

These days there are sensible bag limits and no crab or cray pots allowed. We still pick up all we need, crabs with a hook in the mangroves and crays with a spear drifting over reefs.

6. Aussie-Pride

Aussie-Pride Suspended Banned

you can freeze muddies but as with any other seafood it's best caught an cooked that day.

7. SteveNT

Yea you can freeze muddies but they're not worth eating afterwards. And why bother, you can keep them alive for a week. Someone's catching way too many muddies if they cant eat their bag limit in a week!

8. Aussie-Pride

Aussie-Pride Suspended Banned

Agreed as i said any seafood is best caught n cooked that day. You can freeze muddies without them turning to mush or as you said or the sell walls bursting an going to goo, they need to be cooked before freezing otherwise they taste like ****.. The legal limit for muddies down this way is 5, I could slam 5 muddies in week easy.

9. SteveNT

The limit's 10 per person here and we can bag out on the first run (10 pots per boat limit). My missus can eat 5 in a day! :)

breakfast!
    PB220048.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. guzzo

guzzo Very Well-Known Member

Nice ones there Steve....That is why I have not been getting any, your missus is eating em all!!!

11. Poggle

Poggle Very Well-Known Member

Hate to be the first one to make you aware of this mate, but i think you have crabs......... On a more serious note i agree with you all, back in 06 a mate and my self toured the north east and east coast of Tasmania fishing and eating what we caught, we would fish all day but only keep with we could eat that night or for lunch. we got squid and salmon and whiting and flat head. Was great, people couldnt under stand why we would throw so many back, simple in 18 years time i would like to do the same but take our kids with us and hope they are able to enjoy the same experience because people have not been stupid enough to over fish.

12. Asharee133

Asharee133 Very Well-Known Member

xD Steve, it was released just after that pic. It was for a photo for the paper.

13. Snake-Supplies

Snake-Supplies Well-Known Member

My last fishing trip was the best in ANYONES life...

We were catching fish all day, and in the last hour I think I caught about 45-50 flathead (some double hooks ups)

We had already reached our bag limit for all of us, so they had to all go back.

14. Heelssss

Heelssss Well-Known Member

Yeah some people just abuse it & dont think or care about conservation AND for the new generation of fisherman. I would luv to see my grandchildren actually pullout a real fish from the sea not from a deep sea fishing game on the PS3!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.