Blood/Bone Marrow Donations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a BSE risk. I thought it was pretty dumb until I read about Kuru, another prion based disease. Seems it comes in roughly 20 year cycles.

I donated blood at the end of last week- I'm a B- and this was my third time donating. I barely even notice the finger prick to test Hb or the needle for the actual collection (I rekon the fingerprick stings more than the needle, though!)- mind you I'm used to needles and they don't phase me at all.

Also, I always thought you could only donate whole blood every 3months?

i find the finger prick test pain depends on who does the pricking. ideally you want the prick to be towards the side of the finger, its something to do with the pain receptors if the prick goes in more on a side angle it misses more of the receptors opposed to straight down. also if the nurse squeezes the opposite side of your finger a little bit then the prick is even less noticeable ;)

and you are correct i made a mistake whole blood is every 3 months.

I hope they find a donor in time. But even if they do there still is a big chance he won't mak it.

I lost a very good friend of mine in October last year to lukemia. He was diagnosed in December 2010 and passed away October 2011. They flew a guy in from Germany and carrid out a bone marrow transplant and he got better for a couple of months then went down hill big time. They got some stem cells sent over from Germany from the same guy as he was too weak to undergo another transplant at that time and was hoping they would get him through till he was well enough to undergo another transplant. Unfortuneatly he ended up with pnomia and didn't make it. He was meant to get married the week after he passed. Also left behind a 2 year old girl.

I have never given blood and can't ATM due to tattoos but once I'm done getting them I'll go do my part.

i'm the opposite...i for medical reasons can't be a donor of blood, platelets,marrow or organs but i would love to...so i'm stuck with donating my brain to science when i die so they can figure out the multiple neurological conditions i had (or not) i have 3 siblings and it rips me apart knowing that if i was their only match i couldn't do anything.
My sister has made me power of attorney because she is an organ donor but mum doesn't approve. my sister knows that i'll carry out her wishes should anything happen.

My sister has made me power of attorney because she is an organ donor but mum doesn't approve. my sister knows that i'll carry out her wishes should anything happen.

interesting point that i don't think a lot of people realize that family have the power to veto your organ donating wishes. they discussed this recently on Hack on Triple J, that even if you have registered as an organ donor, once you have passed away in hospital your family have the final say, personally i think the system needs reviewing, once you register\agree to donate and list what you agree to donate that should be the final say, i also disapprove of people that don't simply honor the departed persons last wish.

I use to give blood regularly, one day they nearly didn't take it but the following time they wouldn't, I went away feeling really bad!!. Found out I was anaemic and hope to get back to donating soon so will ask about bone marrow.

When my Mum was alive we regularly had this discussion about me donating whatever could be used. I'm registered to donate all my organs and discussed this with my children and the rest of the family a long time ago in case I went before my Mother.

I enjoy giving blood as often as i can/allowed, i am also in the process of trying to design a tatoo saying i am an organ donor and i want quality of life over quantity if the choice ever needs to be made that way fingers crossed there will be no reason any parts needed can be used to improve anothers life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back