Blue Tongue Concerns

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by rainmonitors, Dec 6, 2018.

1. rainmonitors

rainmonitors Not so new Member

I've had my blue tongue for almost 4 months now. In the last few weeks, he hasn't pooped at all (fed twice, feed roughly once/week), doesn't come out to bask at all, and doesn't come out of his hide at all.
    Normally, I wouldn't be concerned about him being in his hide all the time, bc he's ALWAYS like that, but he always basks after eating, then hides for a few days, and walks around a bit to poop.
    He hasn't been doing that at all in the past 3 weeks. I was worried after the first feed in this time span, so instead of feeding him once/week, I fed him after two weeks, then went back to once/week for his second meal. Still didn't poop, or come out at all. However, he very happily accepted food (he's a big eater).
    Nothing has changed in my care for him since he started this behaviour. Feed him premium dog food, greens, blueberries, assorted veggies (usually carrot), and king worms, until a few weeks ago which I ran out of them, switching him to roaches soon.
    Hot side is 35C, cool side roughly 25C.
    Since I was worried, yesterday I lifted up his hide until he finally moved out of it, and he lapped up water more than usual.
    I'm not sure if all this behaviour is normal for a blue tongue skink, or if perhaps he's going into shed soon, since he hasn't shed yet in the 4 months I've had him.
    I've seen some people recommend feeding banana to help bowel movements. Will try that soon.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

You only feed him once a week?

Chris1 and Bl69aze like this.
  3. Chris1

Chris1 cupcake Subscriber

He’s not shedding or pooing cos you’re not feeding him enough

Bl69aze likes this.
  4. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

We feed our blueys every Tuesday Thursday Saturday

Sometimes give them a treat on other days but rarely

5. Stompsy

Stompsy Subscriber Subscriber

Feed him more! At least 3 times per week. In my experience, lizards generally don't go off food when in shed and most tend to be constantly shedding.

At this time of year he should be eating lots to fatten him up for next winter! Bugs, snails, fruit, dog/cat food, egg... always varied!

My Pink Tongues start tongue flicking the moment they see me because they are always hungry this time of year and know I am the food source! Even the littlies are eating machines right now.

Bl69aze likes this.