Bluey question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon

Reaction score
At what age is good to introduce say and 8 month old male to a 4yo female what would be the earliest age to introduce the ?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Sorry for the slow reply.

Ideally (and recommended) all Blueys are best keep singularly. You haven't specified which species of bluey. An 8 month old male Eastern or Northern (unless its been skarfed up) will be much smaller than an adult female and will run the risk of being bashed. Western Blueys are a bit of an exception, adults generally get along all year round and tolerate juvys.

Plus once bashed, some injuries are for the rest of the animal's life, eg. tails never really grow back. They then are a constant reminder that their injuries are from your husbandry mistakes, I know...I've been there.

If you are intending to breed, 8 months isn't too young to get the deed done but it takes a lot of effort to get the male up to speed. Must be power fed from birth and of sufficient size before the cool down in June and July. Also the female musn't be too big for the male to handle, i.e. blue tongue mating is more of a rape than a romance.

Here's a vid I took back in August 2015 of some Northern Blue Tongues. The animals came to me in poor nick, they were always housed separately and only introduced for mating. No night heat was ever provided to them, and their breeding window fell from mid June to the end of August. The video starts as soon as I can start the camera on my phone, not long after they were both dropped into the tub. The male had already grabbed the girl before I got filming.

I no longer keep any blueys, just concentrating on Egernias these days (mainly cunninghami).

Cheers,
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back