Broad Banded Sand Swimmers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the awesome responces, I got almost the exact cage as you ;P i was going to get an Exo Terra but decided to get a cheaper larger alternative until they grow up and out of it. I will be buying one or 2 soon (bout 5 months old) but i would also like to know if anyone breeds them and how difficult they are to breed. :):)

Hey all.. Got the setup and currently in contact with a breeder but I have been thinking and im pretty sure 1 or 2 Broad Banded Sand Swimmers is the things but i know Jason has alot of info and was wondering if you could share:

Substrate
Diet (how much)
How to breed
Housing

All that WOULD BE AWESOME !!!!:D:D:D:D

Substrate = Washed Sand to a depth of around 3 inches
Diet = insects (any) will also eat meat products though many are low in calcium so stick to insects for the most part, whilst growing feed constantly, 1-2 times a week once adult.
Breeding = the hard part is wroking out the sexes, once you have a pair, and they are willing to live together, never seperate them... they will breed and females lay 4 - 6 eggs every 30 days through the warmer months. Best way is to buy 4, raise them up together, as they mature split the fighters and hopfully 1 pair will start laying eggs..
Housing = I keep mine in a 2 x 2 foot tank, though you could go smaller if you wish, large plastic tubs are fine, heat 1/4 of the floor space. NEVER expose them to temps over 30 deg.

Ok so im most likely going to get just one for now see how i go I have an enclosure that is 38cm wide and 20 cm deep (with secure lid) or a 2foot by 1 foot glass enclosure that doesnt have a secure lid lol the sands easy and i have heaps of small crickets and baby roaches so yeah

IS there a major difference between red desert sand or play sand? (p.s which enclosure would be better)

WOW I really like these little fella's myself ...not much of a small lizard fan ..but these are pretty cool :)

Anyone else own these and have some info on these guys ANY and i mean ANY info will be taken on board and be very much appreciated :D:D

*tear* lol ill post some picks of the enclosure that i plan on using for now on later

Last edited:
Heres the pics of the enclosure + the sand i will be using

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Enclosure 2.jpg
    Enclosure 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Sand.jpg
    Sand.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 91
And its sits round 20-25 during the day (no heating) and its sits at around 10-14 at night if required to keep it below 30 during the day i can turn on a few fans

Last edited:
Lol so no one ELSE can help me out lol C'mon there has to be someone online atm

Can anyone help lol ? haha ive organised to pick one up but i wanna make sure bout the enclosure

As Phil said sand, water. I also heat one 8th of the enclosure with a heat mat incase they want a little heat. They are nocturnal so night time is the right time for watching these guys. They only eat insects so build yourself a roach or cricket colony. Watching them hunt is hilarious.
When it comes to breeding (If they are not trying to kill each other you probably have a pair) empty out all but 1cm level of sand, fill a pot plant base (the thing to catch water) with sand cut a couple of holes in the side big enough for them to enter and pop another pot plant base on top upside down to give a sense of privacy. Keep an eye on them if one starts to get fat it may be a gravid female then keep checking the laying box for eggs which will have to be placed in an incubator at 30 degrees.
Too much info to start with I know but you asked for it ;)

Lol that was awesome ;P But i was mainly after info on the enclosure (regarding my pics lol) But all that was helpful i already have a colony of roaches and small crickets ;P and i dont think ill be breeding them any time soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back