Can I put Two Pythons Together?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JacobV, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacobV

JacobV New Member

Hello,
    I currently have a Male Murray Darling Python, if I get a Spotted Python, can I have them both together if they are the same size? Either a female or male?
    I have read all different things saying you can and you can't.

If that can't happen because they will attack each other or hurt each other, can I have a female MDP in with my male if they are also the same size?

Thank you, Jacob.

2. princessparrot

princessparrot Very Well-Known Member

Wouldn't put a spotted in. It would become lunch sooner or later

3. Lawra

Lawra Come here Squishy! Subscriber

[MENTION=37393]JacobV[/MENTION] short answer: no.

4. cement

cement Subscriber Subscriber APS Veteran

Personally I wouldn't do it mate, and I don't think you'll get to many who would say it will be ok. With the MD and the Spotted they won't stay the same size for long and there is a good chance your spotted will get eaten. You will have more success putting two MD together. But as always with multiple snakes in an enclosure they need a larger enclosure so that they can get away from each other when needed, but still be able to easily access individual basking and cooling places. Snakes by default are solitary animals and don't particularly like any company. Sure there are those who will say no prob been doing it for years, but it isn't seen very often in the wild which shouldn't be disregarded. Personally I think its a cheap way out of simply buying another enclosure, probably to the detriment of the less dominant snake.

5. JacobV

JacobV New Member

Ok, thank you guys, I will just house him/her in a new enclosure. :)

6. Beans

Beans Guest

Good idea. Better to be safe than sorry! :)

7. A1SNAKETRADER

A1SNAKETRADER Not so new Member

This will be a case of one plus one equals one

8. saintanger

saintanger Very Well-Known Member

no way, spotteds and murrays are very different pythons, and the murray would out grown the spotted very quickely. even at the same size one could get hurt/ killed or even both.

9. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Active Member

i wouldn't mix species mate

re Carpet Pythons
    i and plenty other Carpet Keepers i know,keep same sized females and same sized pairs together without issues

re Feeding
    ALWAYS Separate at feeding time,i take out which ever snake is easiest to get out the tank and feed it in a tub,the other snake i feed in the tank

NEVER keep 2 males together

as said,it's only Carpet Pythons i keep

cheers shaun

10. Whenever this question comes up from an inexperienced keeper (and it seems to a common question at the moment) someone always seems to say "I do it with no problems, but you need to do this & this & this to make it safe..." The truth is it's NEVER a good long-term option to keep even similar sized pythons closely confined in a relatively small space. It only works "without issues" until you come home one day to a bloodbath and one or both snakes dead.

I know people are only trying to be helpful, but even the suggestion to novice keepers that this can work, under any circumstances, is asking for trouble. It only works until it doesn't... VERY experienced keepers who can "read" their animals may have long-term success, but if you're anew keeper, forget it.

Jamie

11. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Active Member

that's a very fair and excellent point mate

my apologies...

i should have explained it was experienced keepers i was refering to

i and plenty of keepers with decades of experience have been co habiting Carpets without issues

cheers shaun

12. zulu

zulu Very Well-Known Member

Multiples of the same species in the cage together for breeding is about it ,even then you have to keep a close eye on them to see whats happening.
    Its similar to puting a yearling python into an adult size enclosure with the COP protocol NSW NPWS has ,watch them carefully as the parks and wildlife wont replace your little green tree python ,whatever species. if it dies of respiratory infection etc.

13. No worries Shaun :)! How's the weather over there atm? Warming up yet?

J

14. jacorin

jacorin Well-Known Member

would be interesting to see what would happen from the court case and the public view(i know what i'm trying to say here but not how to say it) even if the person lost the case.

15. Snowman

Snowman Guest

The exception to the rule is bags. Allens keep pythons together all the time.

.. DSC_4362.jpg

DSC_4362.jpg

PanthersWolf likes this.
  16. Gee Snowy, we don't usually get humour from WA herpers :)! I hope you got permission to post the photo...

Jamie

J

17. CrystalMoon

CrystalMoon Reptile Lover Subscriber

I think the real Python was sort of strategically placed over part of the name ;) lol welllll thats how I am seeing it

18. Snowman

Snowman Guest

Hahaha. :)
    Permission for humour?

19. Indeed :)!

J

20. zulu

zulu Very Well-Known Member

What i meant there is "watch things closely " with multiples or upgrading to COP sizes . I put a green from his usual enclosure that i would have kept it in for a few years under my own protocol and it stressed and started to get respiratory so i put it back in smaller enclosure and it is alright.What ime saying as an experienced keeper is you need to watch things closely and act accordingly ,you have to place multiples for breeding at times etc use commonsense, if your experimenting observe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.