Can you ID these geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanzen

Reaction score
Hi all
my son caught 2 geckos tonight in brisbane south. I don't know anything about geckos except they're not the asian ones with the spines on the tail. can someone ID them please :)

Attachments

• gecko3.jpg
    gecko3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 168
  • gecko5.jpg
    gecko5.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 148
  • gecko4.jpg
    gecko4.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 175
The first one is probably a dubious dtella (and don't try to identify an asian house by the spines on its tail, as it may have a regenerated tail. Always look on the first finger closest to the head of the front feet of the geckos. If it has a claw, then it's an asian house, if not, it's a dtella).

I can't remember what the second is. It looks like one of those box things that VixenBabe on this site bred a little while ago.

Well if their not AHG's its illegal to have them and instead of identifying them you should release them.

The first 2 look like AHG's, but i dont know much about geckos and the photo is a bit blurry. I agree with scorps though, how dare you catch something to try and ID it, just think of all the damage you are doing :rolleyes:

3rd pic looks like Oedura robusta or lesuerii?

Last edited:
The first 2 look like AHG's, but i dont know much about geckos and the photo is a bit blurry. I agree with scorps though, how dare you catch something to try and ID it, just think of all the damage you are doing :rolleyes:

I dont think they where catching them to id them, and I was stating it will do damage, hundreds of these would get killed a year due to just human interference but that still doesn't make it legal.

its illegal sure but im sure her children didnt know that , catching tadpoles by the creek is illegal to but we all did it , im sure they will elt them go soon enough true tanzen?

Thanks to those with helpful input. It was good to know how to differentiate fron the asian gecko. However I didn't keep them long enough to follow up on the toe claw thing. They were so dramatically traumatised by their photo shoot that it took them a whole 10 seconds to get back into feeding around their fav fluro light.

Chris and Scorps.....I wasn't asking for anyone to tell me what to do, stray off topic or make assumptions. If you can't be helpful, your sniping input is not requested. oh and grow up. many kids start with an interest in back yard critters.... a fact most people get. Parent your own kids but not mine.

Thanks to those with helpful input. It was good to know how to differentiate fron the asian gecko. However I didn't keep them long enough to follow up on the toe claw thing. They were so dramatically traumatised by their photo shoot that it took them a whole 10 seconds to get back into feeding around their fav fluro light.

Chris and Scorps.....I wasn't asking for anyone to tell me what to do, stray off topic or make assumptions. If you can't be helpful, your sniping input is not requested. oh and grow up. many kids start with an interest in back yard critters.... a fact most people get. Parent your own kids but not mine.

The smiley thing means i was being sarcastic, i think its good that you are keen to know what they are.

Last edited:

I wasn't 'Parenting' your kids, I was stating what you did was illegal, its funny how some people decide what they seem illegal or not, If your speeding and get fined do you ask the police officer to stop parenting you?

Did a dse officer slap you in cuffs when you found your first herp ?

No and I'm not planning on ringing them, I was just pointing out that its illegal, Your clearly agreeing with me that its illegal so therefore your contradicting yourself.

first one is a AHG with a regenerated tail,second is a robust velvet gecko

they are cute Tanzen , and I have asian house geckos,why would i want to kill them for ? they are doing me a favour eat all the bugs that fly around my loungeroom...and can be very entertaining to watch at times ...beats looking at the ugly cane toads out the back eating my dog food ....

Hiu all,

Gecko 3 and 5 are Hemidactylus frenatus and the last gecko is Oedura jacovae

Cheers,
Scott

cheers!..that makes sense of it not having the fat tail, which I didn't show in the pic posted so made it look like a robusta at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back