Defensive Diamond Python - Adult

Discussion in 'Herp Help' started by behemoth, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. behemoth

behemoth New Member

Hey guys

I recently acquired a 6ft diamond python in a ballot and as such don't know it's history other than it was seized in a raid.

Initially handling it definetly was uncomfortable and seemed to be getting defensive. One I put in a temporary tank it just sat there and tried to strike through the glass.

I put a sheet over the tank and after a few hours it calmed down. I then left it alone to calm down.

I moved it to its permanent cage the other day and got extremely defensive behaviour again, moving to a corner and sitting poised, couple of strikes at the glass.

It seems to freak out if a hook or hand touches it and I am now wondering of possibly it was wild caught or just stuck in a enclosure and never handled.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can get it used to handling without stressing it out too much or getting bitten too much.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. pythoninfinite

pythoninfinite Subscriber Subscriber

Hard to say what the issue may be without knowing the history, but some snakes are just highly reactive some of the time. I have a male RSP which behaves in much the same way some of the time, and it can make feeding quite frustrating - once that stiffening of the body, striking, and other threat behaviour kicks in, forget offering food for a day or two at least. But at other times all is normal. I think patience will be the answer, just as a mistreated dog needs reassurance and time to relax.

If you have other snakes however, be sure to quarantine your new acquisition very thoroughly - it could have come from anywhere.

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.