display cabinet conversion-Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geordieclaire

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me out?
I am shortly going to come into possession of a 1m Diamond Python and I want to convert an old display cabinet that I have into His home because the one he has is far to small in my opinion.
I have grown up with snakes for the most part of my life but have never actually owned my own, let alone built a custom enclosure.

My first question is:
will H:1500X W:900X D:500mm be large enough to house him (baring in mind he will be handled daily unless feeding or shedding).

what are peoples thoughts on UVA and UVB bulbs, some have said they are necessary, but the current enclosure doesn't have them

and also would bathroom and kitchen sealer do the job and be safe when sealing the inside walls? or would I be best to cover them with food grade acrylic as that is what I will be using for the doors.

Cheers,

Geordie.

That size is more than enough.
UV is not needed.
I use aquarium safe silicone to seal enclosures usually.

Personally I think glass is better than acrylic for most reptile enclosures as it doesn't warp, scratch as easily or stain.

Hope that helps.

That size is more than enough.
UV is not needed.
I use aquarium safe silicone to seal enclosures usually.

Personally I think glass is better than acrylic for most reptile enclosures as it doesn't warp, scratch as easily or stain.

Hope that helps.

Personally I think UV provision is a good idea for Diamond Pythons if they are permanently housed indoors

Personally I think UV provision is a good idea for Diamond Pythons if they are permanently housed indoors
That's kind of the problem, people have personal views on it yet there is zero evidence that it does anything beneficial except bring out their colours.
I keep diamonds both inside and out and have done so for many years, there is no difference between the two from my own personal experience.

Thanks for the help Guys :)
He will mostly be indoors as I live in an apartment while I do have a balcony it doesn't get much sun so I'm weighing up my options, I'm not so much concerned about wether it brings out his colours more with his general health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back