Eucalyptus mulch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyror

Reaction score
I've heard some ppl talkin about this stuff, which is being sold under the name "forrest gold". Just a couple of questions for anyone who has used it:

Have you found any problems with it at all?

Do you attempt to clean/disinfect or maybe sieve it in anyway?

I'm thinking about using it for skinks and possibly pythons, so answers from those who have used it in those sort of circumstances would be muchly appreciated (of course any other opinions are always welcome :) ).

We use forrest gold in our enclosers, Dont bother to clean or seive it no, its cheap enough to replace at $7 per 40 kg. We just spot clean and hurl the lot every 2 weeks when we do a big scrub out! No problems with it as far as ingestion at all, lizards are fed on plates but some food escapes, the lizards seem to just spit the mulch if they get some, even from a mouth full of sticky snail.
We dont have our Darwin on it yet ,still in tub with newspaper but we will since she likes to feed from branches.
Can get a little dusty, best to give it a bit of a shake up so dust settles and just throw in the rest.
We do dry it in the sun first, for our stumpy, has some moisture content, others just get it fresh. Has a noticble euclyptus odor for the first day or two. never bothered the liz and they love to burrow in it. Hope this helps. :D

when i use it just put it in a tub and spray it with TOD and leave it for a day.
as instar said its great for the lizards to bury themselves in it

My diamond python hated it. He refused to touch it and he kept sneezing/coughing as it is quite dusty.

RE: Re: RE: Eucalyptus mulch

Brilliant. Have been thinking about swapping from the desert sand to something else, but just can't get past the looks of Breeders Choice or newspaper. Just doesn't work for me. ;) Was considering fake grass, but I like this idea better!

Recently i looked at all the different mulches in Bunnings and was going to buy some until i read on the bags that they contain several types of bacteria, protozoa, legionelle and other nasties. That turned me right off it.

Thats what i was thinking, the bags are usually left out in the sun to heat up, who knows what becteria and other stuff would build up.

I buy it from the local woodyard cubic metre lots. I use it for my bluies and my outdoor enclosure. Works fine for me.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Eucalyptus mulch

serpenttongue said:
Recently i looked at all the different mulches in Bunnings and was going to buy some until i read on the bags that they contain several types of bacteria, protozoa, legionelle and other nasties. That turned me right off it.

Oh yeah? well when i recovered from legionaires disease and came home from hospital, I never had a problem with it! :p
Lol, if you dry it in the sun its fine, but even fresh euclytus mulch seems pretty safe. no warning on the bag! :wink:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Eucalyptus mulch

I don't know this particular brand but I used one called Euci-mulch when I was keeping my beardies, without any problems whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back