FAQ:Best substrate for pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrakka

Reaction score
i thaught id start this thread so i could out once and for all what the best substrate for a python (or any other snake) really is. iv bin to many different reptile stores, breeders and pet shops only to end up even more confused about the topic, so can any one post their ideas to settle this for me. some of the substrate i have bin given are , bark, aquarium gravel, news papper, kitty litter (pews papper), fake sheets of grass, and finally those sheets of cloth that are made for reptiles. any ideas would be great

i find the fish substrate to be good i try and clean it thourougly every couple of months and let it dry out in the sun! i want to try those fake sheets of grass though, how did u find them?

as yet i have not tryed any of them but iv bin told that pythons can swallow the gravel when they drag their food in and can scratch their cloaika ( the thing that hangs down when they poop) as the fake grass is made of shreded plastic and can be quit sharp

thats another thing im trying to find out what can i use that works well and still looks pritty

Marine carpet is a bit of a fav, so long as you dont mind giving it a scrub and hosing it out every so often

Newspaper is nice and fast as far as clean up goes

i have heard some good things about marine carpet (carpet that is used on boats) u just have 2 pieces so that while one is being cleaned the other can be put in enclosure.

thats the sheets of cloth i mentioned at the start but couldnt think of the name thanks kali

Definitely newspaper as it doesnt cost, easy to clean and the pythons cant swallow. You could try butchers paper

well ive been using a substrate made of ground up nuts, it looks like red desert sand almost and isnt toxic for snakes so if they accidently swallow some they should be good. ill try and find out what its called.

oh and btw i know they should be good as sometimes my snake has gotten the sand in his mouth during feeding...

and nothing happened just went about his business and the substrate was passed on.

Depends what suits you best I'm looking at changing from newspaper to marine carpet at the moment.

I've been using Marine Carpet for a while. I like it.

:p

Hix

yeah i know their good but they just dont look natural so what do you all think about the marine carpet as a substrate

Mate use what ever you like the look of ,aslong as your happy with it ........ some will say newspaper , some kitty litter ...... I dont think there is any right or wrong answer .
I use breeders choice as i only have one cage at the moment , but i am sure if i had 10 or 20 cages i would use newspaper ( for cost reasons ) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back