Beardie Supplies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin00

Reaction score
So I have decided that I will get a Bearded Dragon, though unlike my first snake im not going to rush into it. I really want to make sure I cross all my t's and dot all my i's I currently have read about 3 care sheets for beardies and so im going to start the process of setting everything up slowly.

So the enclosure im not to worried about, im thinking getting one from the pet store, now with UVB lighting, should I buy that in the pet store or should i get that online, and if online can you recommend any good sites. The care sheets said you need a heating lamp as well and you can just use a common household bulb, but it didn't really state what watts it need to be

And finally when it comes to substrate, im thinking that fake grass I see you can get, is that a good idea?

Thx

Hi Mate,
Fake grass is not normally recommended for beardies as they love to dig. I agree with Monitors that you should just get some washed play sand :)
There is a good supplier of Bearded Dragon Items and there is also another supplier of cheaper items, I sent you a PM.
Good luck with your beardie :)

If it's a baby dragon sand is not good. They can get impacted if they eat it. Fake grass is good for youngsters. UV 10.0 ate available from pet stores. If you want to order online there are plenty of sites. Check prices at the pet store to compare value. Sometimes shipping costs nullify the cheaper product price.

I used Back to Nature small animal bedding( small paper pellets ) for my dragons when they were juvies, good for odor control etc but not that natural looking, now I'm using Bradleys pet base, made of very coarse ground olive stones, looks good but not as absorbent as the pellets. As for basking lamps just use a halogen flood globe from Bunnings etc. get a few different wattages to experiment with to get your temps. Go for a r50 or r63 to get a concentrated spot. They are less than $5 each.

Slytherin,

I use a 40 W Philips spot bulb (30 degree beam angle) in my beardie's enclosure. Comes in twin packs from Bunnings, somewhere around $5. They're not that expensive anyway. I can tell you that it's always a good idea to have a spare because they tend to blow at the most inconvenient times.

I got my UV 10.0 tube from a local pet shop.

For baby beardies, newspaper or butcher's paper is an acceptable substrate, although you do get the problem that they can't dig. Mind you, my beardie never tries to dig except when she settles down for the night. Now that my beardie is around a year old, I will switch her to something more exciting. Personally, I dislike sand and I'm not keen on fake grass, so I will try something like Breeder's Choice pellets. (You will get different opinions on that, too.)

Why would people say that sand is no good for a desert dwelling animal ????

I thought hershop.com.au were one of the sponsers on here. They have a good range of stuff to check out for value of online supply and shipping. Friends of mine locally use a simple glass fish tank set up with a mesh top. You might be able to set something up cheaper than buying prefab.

Why would people say that sand is no good for a desert dwelling animal ????

exactly, mine have been on sand since about 8 weeks old. Never any issues. $7 play sand + low 40s basking spot and you shouldnt have any issues. From what i hear, many breeders and keepers use sand from day 1.

Ok thx for all the help guys, so for substrate im going to use that washed play sand, and just see how it goes with that, and if i do find that its swallowing sand i'll change to that Breeders Choice pellets. As for lighting im taking Monitors advice and just use a MVB light, that way I get both heat and UV

And Gruni as much as i'd like to buy a fish tank and make a mesh top, im not exactly a "handy man" so i can't see that ending well lol. So even though their enclosures are pretty expensive from the pet store i'll just have to save up, at least it gives me some more time to continue with researching

Second hand fish tanks come up cheap all the time and a quick visit to the local aluminium and glass place and they will whip up a mesh top using stainless steel security mesh which won't melt from the heat light. A couple of little L brackets will hold it in place as beardies can't get up there and lift it off like a snake and there are easy options like child locks for cupboards or fridges that you can use any way.

Hmm that does sound like a better alternative, i think I might do that thanks. Oh I also have another question, its probably a rather dumb question but I can't find the answer anywhere.

You know how you buy like a MVB bulb right, well how do you connect it to a power source, like do you use a socket, but does the socket just connect into the wall like a normal electrical plug?

first sand is no problem ,I have been using it for years and from day1 with all my beardies'
next the light fitting is a simple Edison Screw fitting available from electrical tradies outlets like TLE for about $7 and needs wiring.Cut the end off a cheap extension cord and bingo make sure you get a ceramic fitting that will take the heat

- - - Updated - - -

you can also buy ready made fittings with clamps and lampshades etc. from pet shops.look around because some reptile shops charge double what some other shops charge

If it's a baby dragon sand is not good. They can get impacted if they eat it. Fake grass is good for youngsters. UV 10.0 ate available from pet stores. If you want to order online there are plenty of sites. Check prices at the pet store to compare value. Sometimes shipping costs nullify the cheaper product price.

Fake grass is not usually recommended, it is not natural to them and if you get a bad quality one and it starts to fall to bits and you havnt seen it then your baby dragon will most likely eat it, due to them being curious and inquisative. They are more likely to get an impaction problem from the plastic.

Fake grass is not usually recommended, it is not natural to them and if you get a bad quality one and it starts to fall to bits and you havnt seen it then your baby dragon will most likely eat it, due to them being curious and inquisative. They are more likely to get an impaction problem from the plastic.

+1 my fake grass went in the bin very quickly. I too was put off at first by people saying you shouldnt use sand. I do understand the worry, you dont want to hurt your little babies! To me they just didnt seem comfortable on the grass........ they instantly seemed more comfortable when they went onto the sand and were on the ground more running round etc

MVBs are not dimmable so don't get a dimming thermostat. Try to match the wattage as best you can to your enclosure as constant switching can greatly reduce the life of gas discharge lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back