Feeding tips for hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try slowly moving the mouse in and gently nudging the snakes nose with the mouse, if the snake backs away, back the mouse away a bit and move it in slowly again, if the snake doesn't back away when you GENTLY press the mouse into its nose hold still a while and it should take it.
Before force feeding, try assist feeding. Nearly the same thing but instead of lubricating and shoving half the mouse down its throat, just gently but firmly grab the snake and mouse behind the head (one hand each) and shove the mouse into the snakes nose until it bites it then slowly put the snake down and hope it swallows. It is a bit friendlier than force feeding but not much different. You may still want to get someone more experienced to help. This is only a last resort thing when your snake is losing condition from not eating for a while (which it sounds like it is) and I have only had the need to do it once fortunately.

Thanks for all suggestions, this forum has been great, I have tried some of the suggestions and they haven't worked so far, but not giving up, I will try to get someone that knows a lot more than me about handling and feeding a fussy eater tomorrow, so hopefully they have more luck than me. I don't want to stress the little dude too much.

People laugh when I suggest this but I have got some VERY stubborn feeders going using this method. If you have a rat (a dead one) cut off a leg and hold the fresh bloody end in front of the snakes nose without actually touching it, if the snake moves it's head just follow it gently.
Where are you in Brisbane if you don't mind me asking ? You can PM if you prefer.

People laugh when I suggest this but I have got some VERY stubborn feeders going using this method. If you have a rat (a dead one) cut off a leg and hold the fresh bloody end in front of the snakes nose without actually touching it, if the snake moves it's head just follow it gently.
Where are you in Brisbane if you don't mind me asking

Hi I am on the southside of Brissie. I don't have a rat (yikes).

Another question for the forum,

I have stated on a few occasions when chatting about snakes, and I say I have a children's python and they ask "why kind", that gets me confused, can someone enlighten me on what they might be asking? I simply say I don't know? I just thought a "children's python" was it.

Thanks
Tracy

Years ago Childrens, Spotted and Stimsons pythons were all referred to as Childrens. Now they are recognised as a seperate species.

boa said:
Years ago Childrens, Spotted and Stimsons pythons were all referred to as Childrens. Now they are recognised as a seperate species.

Thanks for that.

boa said:

Thanks for that.

Update:

Thanks for all the suggestions by everyone. This forum has been excellent.

Just wanted to share that it ate 3 pinkies this morning, First one was a live one and the other two were thawed. Pretty thrilled. :D May not be the end of problems but at least it's had a good meal.

Also thanks to "Boa" for the tips and giving me a hand in some great information.

Cheers

No worries Tracy. It's good to hear and although eating live isn't ideal it will hopefully lead to him soon eating dead. Once they get used to eating they often then just eat anything. As I said to you it may be that he will only accept the live pinkie a couple more times. The live one is the trigger they need to eat, once he doesn't need that trigger there will be no stopping him.

Feeding tips for hatchlings

Another update:

Really excited and thrilled, just wanted to thank everyone again for there help and share the fact that I have gotten the little dude to eat twice since the last posting, I finally found something he/she likes, it's the down of baby chicks, as soon as I put that on a thawed pinky he/she goes straight for it.

Cheers
Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back