First Carpet Python, Advice Needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
After 8 years of trying I finally got my first Central carpet python.
I bought it off a breeder only a 5 weeks old and 50cm long (+/-) with all the paperwork to prove. Im not sure what the sex it because the breeder didn't want to check in fear of accidentally injury.

At the moment I have it stored in an old fish tank (36×24×33) in my room.

I was wondering if people can give me some advice on a few things;
-how can i determine the sex of the baby?
-when should i purchase a bigger enclosure?
-how often should i handle it? Since its young i dont want to stress it out.
-any advice you can give for a newbie with a hatchie
Thanks

Hey everyone,
I bought it off a breeder only a 5 weeks old and 50cm long (+/-) with all the paperwork to prove. Im not sure what the sex it because the breeder didn't want to check in fear of accidentally injury.

Thanks

Hi Ironman, and welcome to APS!
Best advice I can give you is to read as much as you can on this forum (use the search function at the top), and also go out and buy yourself one, or both, of the following:
A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity, by Adam Elliott
Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, by Mike Swan

To answer your questions, you won't be able to accurately sex your python for at least a year or two. A reptile vet is the best person to do this for you as a new snake owner.
A fish tank, opening from the top, is not ideal for a snake of any age. Reaching in from above can present as a threat. Hatchlings should be kept in what is known as a click clack set up: https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/
This is a fairly easy to follow guide on how to do it. A much better way to look after your hatchling. Don't be in a hurry to put him in a bigger enclosure, snakes prefer smaller spaces.
Let it settle in for a week or so, then handle it for short periods once a day. Before that, get it used to your hand when you change its water etc.

Oh, and stay calm and confident, even if the snake lashes out at you. They can sense nervousness.

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Gender can be determined by popping or probing both should be only done by someone who has experience doing it :)

With the bigger enclosure play it by ear, when the snake has grown and is needing an upgrade, which will differ from animal to animal

I wouldn't handle at all until he/she has taken a meal or 2 and has settled in well, then start with short handling sessions (max 5 mins)
If the snake if striking and stressed shorten the length of the handling. Using a hook can help with this :)

Hatchies can be quite hardy but a proper setup is a must!
Use a temp probe to make sure your not cooking the snake or have him to cold :) 32 is optimal :)
But also make sure there is a cool side to the tank

Also hatchies do well in smaller tubs to start off with but if he/she is feeding fine in what there in just leave them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for advice, in regards to feeding should i put him/her inside a seperate tub?

Thanks everyone for advice, in regards to feeding should i put him/her inside a seperate tub?

It's up to you but I don't see the point of stressing them out to put them in another tub then feeding them, then trying to move them back again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So i just given this enclosure as a present, whats everyones opinion?

14889487794212075798706.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back