force feed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
I had my first attempt at force feeding my snake(any snake) tonight, not a good attempt. I got the snake out did the usual let her stretch out on my arm and then I got her head to feed, got the fuzzy in and then about 3/4 way in I see an eruption of bloody fluid (insert cuss words, as I used quite a few) Needles to say I thought I had just killed my snake :( , but after I allowed her(like I could stop her) to chuck up the fuzzy I checked her, then I realised I had busted the fuzzy's side in trying to help her down the snake. I will try again tomorrow with a pinkie.

Poor Moses :( . I really hope your baby picks up.
Luckily I have never had to force feed.
Spilota chick may have some advice for you, I think she has had experience with the "pinkie-pump" which may help you out.

moses, don't give up just yet.. apply a little vegetable or olive oil from the head to the ribs of the fuzzy and see if that gets it down, (if the snake regurgitates, try a couple more times) if that fails also .. perhaps use a smaller prey item and give it a go the next day, sometimes just a slight feed can alter the natural feeding response and you may end up with a hungry snake in a few days.

I got halfway through the force feed and the snake made a noise, so I stopped, she then seemed to be deciding if she wanted to eat it or regurgatate it, so I left her in her damp hide with one pinkie half in her and one next to her, I checked this morn and both were gone. Fingers crossed that this is a sign of things to come.

That is fantastic Moses!!! :D
Hopefuly all systems go towards full recovery and happy healthy snake!!

You must be thrilled with the progress!

Congrats that is great news moses.
Hopefully it is a good sign of things to come

the big test comes when i offer her her next meal, should it be a rat pup(which she can handle, size wise) or a fuzzy, just to ease her back in to the food? I do not want to have a set back. Funny how you can get attached to something non human in such a short space of time.
Moses

Congratulations Moses :!: :lol: :D
If it where me, I would use what another pinkie because seeing she has eaten two of them already. But maybe if she eats them, the meal after that try he with something bigger. Only my opinion as I do not have a snake YET.
Good Luck :!: :!:

Congrats to you my water parting friend :) I reckon you've cracked it buddy!!! Just offer a nice warm feed the same size as the second feed you gave it, (the one it took voluntarily), make sure it is nice and warm and wiggle it around a bit to entice the snake to strike and feed. I reckon you've won buddy. JMO though.

Let us hope so Afric, I have been neglecting my water parting and plague duties. :)
Moses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back