Heating/lighting (first Snake)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GalaxyWolf

Reaction score
I bought a snake terrarium a while ago, it's still going to be about a year before I can get my first snake but I had a few questions about housing a snake.

The tank came with a heating light (with the little metal cage around it). But the person I bought it from didn't have a UV light in there (I didn't think to ask about it at the time).

Does a snake need heating and UV lighting?
(And if it does how do I attach a UV light in my tank? And does the light need a protective cage aswell or is it safe for the snake to touch?)

My other question is when I first get a snake it'll probably be a yearling but I've heard a big terrarium can stress out a small snake, so would I need to keep it in something else?
My tank size is: 80x49x50 Cm (LxWxH)

Thanks,

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

A snake doesn't NEED UV, so if you only have the one fitting, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned, there are MVB's or mercury vapour bulbs, which is a combined heat and UV globe. To answer your question, you would need a cage around a second light.
And depending on the size of your snake, it might be ok in the enclosure; otherwise a click clack tub would be better if the snake is small.

Okay, Thank you!

Also, What do you use for heating with a tub?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I provide both UVA and UVB lighting for my animals. Many keepers will argue that this is unnecessary for animals in captivity. Wild animals get both from the sun, so I provide it in captivity. You will have to figure out how to mount UV lighting if you choose to use it. Reptile One of Exo Terra sell canopy stile lighting.

Any bulb that emits heat needs a cage. Snakes can give themselves nasty burns from light/heat bulbs.

Young snakes will be comfortable in any size enclosure if you provide enough hides. You will need hides through your temp range so they can hide as they thermoregulate. Also provide plenty of branches, when they feels comfortable they will emerge from the hide and bask.

There are many good books written about keeping your chosen species in captivity, buy as many as you can. The internet can be misleading.

Sorry Nick, but I have to disagree. Smaller snakes, under 12 months, will still stress in a tank or enclosure. It's usually better to keep them in a tub setup for that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back