Is it normal for heat lamps to smell?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sioran

Reaction score
Good morning,

My new heat lamp globes emit a weird chemical smell when installed. I returned it and tried another but am having the same issue. I left it for a few hours (around 4) then swapped in the old one as I didn't want to leave it overnight (long story - I'm having ambient temperature issues, changing the thermostat and heat globes doesn't seem to have helped, I'm trying to get an electrician in to check the outlet as everything was fine last week).

I'm using a Reptile One light fitting and heat cage and the bulbs are 100w. Nothing is touching anything it shouldn't be touching. The old one doesn't smell at all. I'd still like to swap it out to make sure that's not the issue (though it's only 3 months old and it does still produce heat) but I wasn't sure about the smell from the new ones.

Thank you.

if its a standard globe (glass one) its likely the wood burning or wires burning... definitely get it checked out
if its a ceramic heater, its often the paint on the heater burning
you definitely shouldnt smell anything burning....

another option is the paint on the cage burning
100w bulb is quite strong... 99% of users wont need that strong of a bulb except for maybe monitors, a 75w globe will get to 40c+ at a 45cm distance
https://www.mitre10.com.au/mirabella-halogen-r80-reflector-globes-40567 - use these globes if you arent already...

Its not normal, no. I agree with Herpetology. Leaning towards whatever paint has been used on the inside of the enclosure. đź‘Ś

Good morning,

My new heat lamp globes emit a weird chemical smell when installed. I returned it and tried another but am having the same issue. I left it for a few hours (around 4) then swapped in the old one as I didn't want to leave it overnight (long story - I'm having ambient temperature issues, changing the thermostat and heat globes doesn't seem to have helped, I'm trying to get an electrician in to check the outlet as everything was fine last week).

I'm using a Reptile One light fitting and heat cage and the bulbs are 100w. Nothing is touching anything it shouldn't be touching. The old one doesn't smell at all. I'd still like to swap it out to make sure that's not the issue (though it's only 3 months old and it does still produce heat) but I wasn't sure about the smell from the new ones.

Thank you.
100 watts makes it too bright for myself. What about the reptile? I don't think a reptile would like it.
if its a standard globe (glass one) its likely the wood burning or wires burning... definitely get it checked out
if its a ceramic heater, its often the paint on the heater burning
you definitely shouldnt smell anything burning....

another option is the paint on the cage burning
100w bulb is quite strong... 99% of users wont need that strong of a bulb except for maybe monitors, a 75w globe will get to 40c+ at a 45cm distance
https://www.mitre10.com.au/mirabella-halogen-r80-reflector-globes-40567 - use these globes if you arent already...
They are sold in pairs, as the website says. Are they available in 1? Or is it better to buy a pair?

Last edited:
100 watts makes it too bright for myself. What about the reptile? I don't think a reptile would like it.

They are sold in pairs, as the website says. Are they available in 1? Or is it better to buy a pair?
buy a pair, then you always have a spare. They always seem to blow at the wrong time

Back