Heatmat/UV question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd2302

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am picking up my first snake on the weekend, a hatchling coastal carpet python. This week I purchased basically everything for it, click-clack style enclosure with substrate, hides etc and a heat mat. I was told that UV light isn't neccessary (as I was just going too use the heatmat) but the breeder I am buying off reckons they need the UV light, I was just wondering if this could be clarified? I plan too move the enclosure up a size once it hits the yearling mark (where I will have the lighting etc) but just confused if they need it or not.

Any opinion is great, I appreciate any advice anybody can offer. Just want the snake too have a healthy long life.

Nope, uv not needed for a coastal but you will want a nice warm basking spot. I keep my hatchies using only a heat mate and the light is just the globes from woollies. About $3 instead of $23

i personally do like to run lighting though. Just so they get a photoperiod but that is personal choice. You can buy a size light unit that will stay fine for several enclosures. It's only got to hold the globe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back