Help with an enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should my first snake be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayobaidi

Reaction score
Hey Guys

First timer here, thought about owning a python my whole life, finally moved out, got a license and im ready to go so i figured as a first ill purchase a childrens python and i wanted to make my own enclosure. I am a cabinet maker by trade so that is no problem. Just a little confused when it comes to the lighting and heat set up. I see most enclosures have two bulbs, the UV and heat lights. I can hook all that up i guess, any one have a link or can give me a quick check list on what i need for the enclosure and where it goes? will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch

Welcome to APS.
If you purchase a hatchling, or juvenile, python, you won't need an enclosure straight away. They are better kept in what's called a click clack, or plastic tub. Here's a helpful thread on how to set one up.
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/guide-to-build-a-click-clack-dial-up-warning.93266/
With pythons, you only really need heat. UV, while not harmful, is not necessary. But if you choose to use UV, no problems. A thermostat is also necessary. Choice of heating is up to you: globe or ceramic heat emitter (CHE). Personally I'd recommend a CHE, as a thermostat can shorten the life of a globe.
Both fittings should be at one end, at least 100mm apart. You will also need vents, either at the back, but preferably at each end. The vent at the warm end should be low, while the other vent should be higher.
If you use timber, make sure you seal the wood after assembly. A water based sealant is essential; most people use a pond sealer, although I believe there are water based timber sealants that work fine too. Just make sure to air out the enclosure before use. Even if you paint the inside of the enclosure (water based paint), you still need to seal it afterwards. A silicone sealant with no mould inhibitor in it to seal the internal joins; a glass or aquarium one is ok.
Other than that, substrate of your choice, multiple hides, a water bowl big enough for the python to soak in if needed, and rock(s) and branches to climb on. I've always found a rock under the heat source helps create a basking spot.
I think that's it. I'm sure someone else will come along a nd mention anything I've forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back