Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I visited the Warrumbungles several times in the last few years. This is a great place to see some of our dry country reptiles and it also is excellent for bushwalking. I think that the Grand High Tops walk is absolutely stunning with magnificent views of the cores of these old volcanos. This walk also passes next to the "Bread Knife", a spectacular 90m tall volcanic dyke. Most of the following photos of diurnal herps were taken along this trail.

There are nice campgrounds within the park as well as motel accommodation in the nearby town of Coonabarabran.

Here is the habitat:
Habitat6.jpg

Habitat4.jpg

... the "Bread Knife"
Habitat7.jpg

Habitat2.jpg

Habitat1.jpg

One of the snake highlights was this responsive Spotted Black Snake (Pseudechis guttatus):
SpottedBlack1.jpg

SpottedBlack2.jpg

Red-naped Snake (Furina diadema):
RedNapedSnake1.jpg

Curl Snake (Suta suta):
Curl1.jpg

Curl2.jpg

Dwyer's Snake (Parasuta dwyeri):
Dwyers1.jpg

Dwyers3.jpg

Bandy-bandys (Vermicella annulata), always a nice sight:
BandyBandy2.jpg

Nobbi Dragon (Amphibolurus nobbi). This male was very curious and it ran up to this stump right next to the trail for photos. I wish that the other lizards were so cooperative!
Nobbi1.jpg

Jack Lizard (Amphibolurus muricatus), a male in breeding colours:
Jacky1.jpg

White's Skinks (Egernia whitii). These skinks are abundant along the Grand High Tops walk. They are quite variable in pattern. Some have plain backs, others have striped backs but most are spotted:
WhitesSkink1.jpg

WhitesSkink3.jpg

WhitesSkink2.jpg

Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatillis saxatilis). This race is restricted to the Warrumbungles and it is separated from other populations by many kilometers. In this day of taxonomic splitting, I wonder how long it will be until it is re-classified as a full species ... or maybe this has already occurred?

... this one still looked sleepy as it was warming itself in the early morning sun near the top of the GHT walk:
BlackRock1.jpg

BlackRock2.jpg

Cryptoblepharus sp. -- These tiny skinks were common on rocks near the top of the GHT walk. I read that the Cryptoblepharus skinks were recently split into many new species so I don't know what this one would be called now.
Cryptoblepharus1.jpg

Copper-tailed Skink (Ctenotus taeniolatus):
CopperTailed1.jpg

Eastern Striped Skink (Ctenotus robustus):
Robust1.jpg

Eastern Spiny-tailed Gecko (Strophurus williamsi):
EasternSpinyTailedGecko2.jpg

EasternSpinyTailedGecko1.jpg

Ocellated Velvet Gecko (Oedura monilis). The soft, pastel colours of those from the Warrumbungles are very nice.
Ocellated3.jpg

OcellatedVelvet2.jpg

... tail wagging:
OcellatedVelvet3.jpg

... this one was eating sap from an injured wattle:
OcellatedVelvet1.jpg

Thick-tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus [Nephrurus] milli).
... regen'ed tail:
Thicktailed1.jpg

Thicktailed2.jpg

... original tail:
Thicktailed3.jpg

Eastern Stone Gecko (Diplodactylus vittatus), a species that varies in colour and pattern:
EasternStoneGecko1.jpg

EasternStoneGecko2.jpg

EasternStoneGecko3.jpg

Gehyra variegata, often active even before dark. This one appears to have a sub-cutaneous parasite on its right flank.
GehyraVarigata1.jpg

Anomalopus leuckartii, a nocturnal skink. It has four legs but they are tiny.
Anom2.jpg

Lerista punctatovittata. Ants were swarming on it but it ignored them. It was uninjured and crawling along the edge of the road.
Lerista1.jpg

The Warrumbungles are well worth a visit!

Regards,
David

keywords: field herping, field trip

Thanks for the comments.

Sarah,
I visited the Warrumbungles in November, January and February. I think that this next spring should be great for wild flowers after the area received heavy rain earlier this year. The extra water ought to help the reptile populations as well.

Regards,
David

once again, awsome thread david. have you seen any marbled geckos yet? went there 5 years ago and saw a red bellied black and a spotted black, plus lots of skinks, dragons and geckos. its a nice place. once the herping section is up post all your threads again in there (if it does get put up) *hopefully*

Thanks, Ryan.

Yes, I hope that a field forum is added for those of us who are interested in the field herping. It would be much simpler to locate posts that might be useful when planning a trip.

Regards,
David

Thanks, Krusty. The display by the Spotted Black Snake was incredible. It flattened the neck like this but then did not move.

Here are another couple of pics:
Spotted3.jpg

Spotted4.jpg

... another friendly Nobbi Dragon:
knobby700.jpg

... a late-season, baby Thick-tailed Gecko
thick-tailedgecko3.jpg

Regards,
David

its good to see that some places there are an abudence of reptile activity in one place there some really nice shots by the way

Great shots as usual moloch, keep them coming. Hopefully a dedicated section for this kind of quality will be here soon!

Cheers thanks for sharing!

love the defencive shot of the spotted black such a nice snake..........your pics are really good it only enhances the fact we need a wild forum on here that we can go to .....to enjoy the pics and the surroundings of the nature shot aswell SLATEY hope your still on the ball with that forum,,,,,,,,RBB

Thanks, everyone.

... a few closeups:

Ocellated Velvet Gecko:
occellated1a.jpg

Eastern Spiny-tailed Gecko:
spiny-tailed5.jpg

Eastern Stone Gecko:
vittatus2.jpg

Wood Katydid -- I believe that it is poisonous, hence its bright warning colours. It looked like a spider on the road but then displayed like this when I approached it.
katydid2.jpg

you are truly remarkable with a camera and the last picture is stunning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back