How do licenses work??

Discussion in 'Newbies forum' started by CEGSpace, Nov 11, 2019.

1. CEGSpace

CEGSpace New Member

So I plan to get a spotted python in the far future as a pet. But I have looked up on the Queensland government websites for all the info when it comes to licenses and it's just super confusing. Help?
    (like I said, I don't plan to get one atm as my mother hates lizards, not snakes as much LOL)

2. -Adam-

-Adam- Not so new Member

Not sure about QLD, but I'm assuming it's similar to other states. The below is what I found for a basic license. If you're wanting advanced I believe there is additional criteria:

- You apply for a license by filling out a form, and pay the government money.

- You sweat it out for a few weeks, and then the government normally grants a license/permit (You may get knocked back is if you have a conviction with cruelty to animals or similar but otherwise I think approval is similar to a library card - almost anyone can have one unless there is extenuating circumstances).

- When you acquire an animal you give your license details to the person you acquire it from and you record their license details.

- Each year you submit a form advising the government of the animals you have acquired and disposed of, along with any deaths, thefts or escapes.

- When your license is due to expire you pay for a renewal if you need to keep your permit. (ie, if you still have animals or wish to obtain some in the future).

3. CEGSpace

CEGSpace New Member

OK then, I assume the forms for what animals you have are submitted online?

4. -Adam-

-Adam- Not so new Member

I couldn't tell you sorry for QLD. Victoria is paperbased, although they are 'working' on a online form. Hopefully someone else here can give you a more detailed account of how QLD operates.