how long before i help??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezmay

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this is prob already on here somewhere but im useless at finding it :(
my childrens is shedding again. its another patchy shed and i was wondering how long do u usually leave them before u step in and help? he is 10months old and has had 2 perfect sheds and now 2 very patchy messy sheds in a row?!
anyone have any suggestions??

straight away before the shed dries out and if on the tail end restrict bloodflow.

oh ok.. well he has climbed up into a branch so i will go do it now cos i think he may have given up using the rocks and stuff. heads off and so is tail but the rest of him is patchy :(
im not sure why this is happening?! grr.. its frustrating!!

wet ur snake and coat it thinly in paw paw ointment, 10 mins later the skin will come off really easily,....

Just spray him. Most common cause of bad sheds is high temp coupled with low humidity, and lack of rough surfaces to rub on. Antaresia are mostly dry country animals, but they spend a lot of time under rocks,logs and in termite mounds where it often does get quite humid intermittently due to morning dew, accumulated rain, etc etc.

Next time you notice him coming up for a shed, mist him daily with lukewarm water, until he has shed. This will help moisten things up and make it easier for him to get it all off. Otherwise, a nice soak for about 15-20 minutes in lukewarm water (just from the tap is fine) will help it slip off. EVen if you have to help him, after a soaking the skin should just fall off.

my water pythons first shed left bits on him, nothing major though didn't look 110%. Ever since I've sprayed him with a commercial spray everyday starting from when he starts hiding & turns blue (few days before blue eyes) untill he sheds and has had perfect one piece sheds ever since, from eye caps to end plugs. I'm sure that spraying him with water would do the same, I just got suckered into the commercial spray! just make sure it's not cold when you do it or they might get a bit cranky ;)

sorry can't help with the problem at hand, I just feel prevention is a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back