Is my Spotted Marsh Frog sick???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogfriend

Reaction score
For the last little while my Spotted marsh frog has been sitting under her water dish and not coming out. She used to always sit in the water but for some reason hasn't been.

When I checked on her today she was lying there quite flat. She is still breathing but seems a little more grey than usual.

when i first got her she had 2 others with her but they died a few months later as she seemed to have killed them of.

Does anyone know why she might be like this? Hope someone has the answer, Thanks
icon_wink.gif

Spotted marsh frogs are notorious burrowing frogs, do you have any locations like small dark places for the frog to hide in your set-up? Otherwise i think the problem is that the frog is just looking for somewhere to hide. Also in the wild this species, like many others, are nocturnal and you just might not be seeing the frog emerge out of under its dish because it comes out during the night and going back under during the morning before you wake up.

However, it seems strange that your other frogs have passed away. Maybe, there is some type of infectious pathogen in your set-up that has killed the other frogs as well as infecting this frog.

I recommending cleaning out your set-up and rebuilding it with a few spots for the Frog to hide, but before you do this complete a little background research into their native habitat and try to mirror it as best as possible to help the overall well-being and create a sense of 'being right at home' for the frog.
Good luck! :)

i got 3 little monsters atm only about 2cm in length and like shea said these frogs usually hide and only come out at night and hunt for some food. i feed my frogs about 9pm every 2 days and i use a touch once in the dark and point it in the tank (not directly on the frog inself) just somewhere close and then you can see them out in the open and hunting for crickets, very exciting to watch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back