Is this snake a red belly or something else???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dickyknee,
Before I say anything else, now that you have explained the context of the statement, I fully understand what you intended and where you we coming from. I am glad I was wrong and obviously rescind any implied arrogance and negativity on your behalf. I sincerely apologise for any offence I may have wrongly caused you.

This problem emanates from the use of sarcasm and ‘ragging’ amongst friends and associates. Within the core of individuals that understand what goes on, there is no issue, only ‘light-hearted jibes’. However, for those not in the know, they take what is said at face value… often diametrically opposite to that which is intended.

My comment was not arrogant. You could, however, consider it blunt and judgmental. I am no-one special and I simply want to learn, like most others here. And should my understanding permit, I think it a good thing to pass on some of that learning to others. The biggest impedance to both has been negative comments about others, rather than sticking to facts or opinions or ideas that have been posted. I am particularly aware of the stipulations for use of this forum in particular, which is why I questioned the intent of your comment. I will add here that my interpretation was in no way any reflection on your use of APS in general, as I am aware of your contributions (and so found the comment ‘out of character’).

I had initially ended my comment with: “Care to explain?” I was feeling unwell at the time and it sounded a bit too much like Pauline Hansen, so I deleted it. Clearly I was wrong not to encourage you to have your say. It makes the difference an enquiry and an accusatory statement. Please accept my apologies again.

There is an issue with photos used in field guides and on the net generally. They choose well marked animals as a subject. Consequently, we don’t get to see the true range of markings in nature, unless we have extensive field experience with a given animal or have seen that range of patterns in captive animals. It does make it difficult at times with respect to IDs.

Here is a darker than normal version of a Golden-crowned… http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/...olden-crown-possibilities-197087/#post2285517

Blue

Mike,
Unfortunately there are space restrictions in field guides..... Possibly as more electronic publishing occurs they will be more pic heavy, but at this point in time they tend have at a pic of each species and if space/ budget permits they show variation. Wherever possible most field guide authors try to use 'typical' representatives but this is biased to the author... Eg a Dendrelaphis from my backyard is green or blue, but if was in Darwin it would be yellow.

cheers
scott

Ok young fella, it has been identified, all you have done is added incorrect information. Legally release should be within a 5km radius. This is to maintain genetic integrity of the population.
Cryptophis are very toxic in there own right, it's a venomous snake and someone (you fit in this category at present) that has no idea should stay away. Reccomendation of treating as a venomous is fine.
Frogs are not the primary prey for Small eyed snakes.

cheers
scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be aware that the Herp Help and Reptile Identification forums are for serious posts only.
Members do not come to these forums to read views/guesses or idle chit chat, they come here to read helpful explanatory information.
In light of this, the Moderator's take a zero tolerance approach to policing these forums. Any posts not adhering to these strict guidelines will be actioned accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back