Lighting for snake enclosures ...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only disadvantages I can think of are:

1) Heat they get very hot with the 50w bulb
2) Spot lighting, not as even as fluoro tubes
3) Need transformers to convert to 12v that they run at therefore you need to put that somewhere.
4) No UV for what its worth

Otherwise its like any other light I suppose.....safer with 12v electricity and now getting more numerous.

Cheers Hawkeye

I have been really thinking about using these in the new enclosure for my carpet i am building. I really like the idea of them. I know some people have used them, and they look very good! These are my thoughts...

Positives - Very low profile (ie no space in enclosure required means more snake area!), low wattage gives off lots of heat (This means that the globes will last longer as they are not running as high), Covering the lights is very easy to stop burns. Also you can use the transformer under some floor tiles in the bottom of your cage to add extra warm (or from above which I prefer)

Negatives - A lot more expensive than normal lights, Much more cabling requirements, Need more space to install the transformer.

What are other people's thoughts on these?

First of all, what type of downlights do you mean? L.V. Dichroic, 240V Dichroic, 240V Incandescent or P.L. Type ? They all have their pros and cons but need to know which type you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back