Lock your animals up

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof_Moreliarty

Reaction score
Hi people not herp related but i felt the need to post this as im that devastated and i wouldnt wish it on any other animal lover, ive just lost my second dog this week to paralysis ticks both had tick collars and have had anti tick tabs the vet claims this year the mortality rate is extremely high as the ticks appear to be peticularly virilant.

something that extremly frustrates me is a woman from the local stables dog has had many ticks this year and is just fine. why? because she gets tick antivenom from america (illegal here)

Anyway keep a keen eye on dogs and cats and check em once a day weather they have tick collars or not.

R.I.P Lucy

R.I.P Buffy

It depends on the variety of tick. Not all ticks kill so I would assume that the woman from the local stables dog may not have paralysis ticks. An elderly man off the land who was a dog trainer at the school where I took my dogs recommended removing the ticks and crushing them then feeding them to the dog mixed in some food to build up an immune response. I wasn't keen on trying this but it would be interesting for someone qualifieds opinion as to whether this does work. I never usually treat specifically for ticks but the Frontline I was using for fleas does both. I changed to a far better flea tablet this year but given the fact it doesn't cover fleas am also using Frontline as advised by my vet. Sorry to hear about the loss of your dogs, it does knock you about emotionally. I lost 1 kelpie last year to snakebite and am extra vigilant now about what might be in our back yard.

That's terrible Prof, sorry for your loss....

If you are like me and don't like putting chemicals on or in you're dogs try using diamatatious earth, for ticks and fleas dust your dog once or twice a week (pet/garden grade), you can also put it around your yard and in dogs kennel/bedding etc, for intestinal parasites put it in their food daily or at least a few times a week (I use human food grade for this)....my dogs never have fleas, ticks or worms and I don't use any commercial chemical products......de is good stuff and cheap to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back