Tougher Penaltys Against Animal Cruelty Campaign

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed, copied and pasted to an e-mail, sent to mailing list, urging them to send to all on their mailing lists.
BRILLIANT cause, what a pity the punishment doesn't fit the crime (what they do to animals is done back to them), it's a lovely thought!

Signed for sure..also signed the petition to stop whaling while l was there!!

Im completely against strengthening animal cruelty laws. I like to be able to go fishing, hunting and feed my animals all these things are considered cruelty by some ppl.

I know plenty of ppl blatently break cruelty laws in Qld by feeding live fish or shrimp(shrimp etc. arnt covered in other states) to their turtles or fish, do these ppl really belong in jail for extented sentances?

I have no time for psychos who get off torturing stuff, but often simply killing or even keeping an animal is seen as cruelty by some.

*signed*
I hope you don't mind carinacat, but I sent this thread as an email to All my friends to help in anyway posible.
I really don't like animal cruelty one single bit :evil: and whoever comits it should be punished the way they hurt (or killed) the animal :twisted:

cheers
Trouble

p.s. thanks for starting this thread

Cris,
I agree with you – strengthening animal cruelty rules will result in RSPCA and the like getting more rights – and us as a community getting loosing rights. Some people think keeping a different pet (not dog, cat, rabbit and the like) as cruel (They call keeping a snake or lizard in a cage as torturing as it is a wild animal and should be running wild). I spoke to a vet and they say that most of the reptiles she sees are not kept “correctly” and is in poor condition. If some animal rights activists had their way the following would happen:
  • No fishing
  • No hunting of any animal (Including feral animals)
  • No keeping of reptiles
  • I have even seen some suggest I should become vegetarian (no eating of meat)
Just a piece of trivia for you: Did you know over 300 organizations can enter your house (Read legally break down your door) without your permission – Police is not one of those organizations. I personally do not want to give away more of my rights including the right to have a reptile as a pet.

Actually, I am suprised that in two pages no one has picked up on the fact that it's non-natives that are being talked about.

What about the fact that two young boys and an older man stoned to death a crocodile - they got NO penalty worth mentioning.

What about all those people that use golf clubs on cane toads? Aren't they elligible for a fine to?

What about people that use flyspray and pesticides?

I'm sorry, but I can't sign something like this that covers mostly furry, imported animals.

Though it's a good cause - I just think it's biased to cuteness.

thats true and to echo another post (bugger someone beat me to it), as an avid fisho, i dont sign these sort of petitons incase it snowballs and instead of being used to punish those who deserve it, it ends up with us not being able to keep any animals.

Also, Miss_Croft can i get a copy of thosae 300 organisations, i wanna know who not to piss off

I have to agree with cris, I don't want to cop a fine for bashing in a mouses head! And cane toads have dramatically decreased my handicap...

***!!!!! Man thts really dumb... I didnt realise laws against animal cruelty are soo *******ing light...

Bruitely beat a human - get 5yrs
Bruitely beat an animal - get 5days

As mentioned previously, it is a well documented fact that serial killers start off torturing and killing animals!

Richard 'the Iceman' Kuklinski killed over 200 people. He started killing animals when he was 10, people when he was 14! Including kicking a dog of a 10th floor roof and putting live cats in a furnace.

Signing a petition isnt going to take away any of our rights as fisherman, reptile keepers etc as there are too many 'votes' to lose, involved with changing legislation like that.

In our travels we have found native turtles that were caught on fishing line and thrown on a fire alive, tied with fishing line to a tree and even with their throats cut, just for being a nuisance! The people were also using live frogs as bait! Now, I would think that that makes some fisherfolk no better than the people referred to in this petition. That doesn't mean all fishing will or should be banned though does it? I say sign, sign, sign!

Tougher penalties are essential to make people understand that cruelty is not on and that it won't be tolerated anymore.

Torturing and killing an animal, (reptile, mammal, amphibian or bird) should be punished the same as if it was a human baby or child. There is no difference, in my mind, they are all simply defenceless. If there is no gaol time there should be massive fines and there should also be extra police just to enforce animal cruelty laws.

This is a personal view and does not reflect the opinion of AFTCRA Inc. or its members

Regards, Gab

Im completely against strengthening animal cruelty laws. I like to be able to go fishing, hunting and feed my animals all these things are considered cruelty by some ppl.

I know plenty of ppl blatently break cruelty laws in Qld by feeding live fish or shrimp(shrimp etc. arnt covered in other states) to their turtles or fish, do these ppl really belong in jail for extented sentances?

I have no time for psychos who get off torturing stuff, but often simply killing or even keeping an animal is seen as cruelty by some.

Wrong. This petition is to strengthen the penatlies for EXISTING crimes. The humane euthanasia of a mouse is not illegal.

People feeding live food to their turtles is wrong imo, just as wrong as feeding live mice to their snakes or feeding other reptiles to their snakes.

Cris,
I agree with you – strengthening animal cruelty rules will result in RSPCA and the like getting more rights – and us as a community getting loosing rights. Some people think keeping a different pet (not dog, cat, rabbit and the like) as cruel (They call keeping a snake or lizard in a cage as torturing as it is a wild animal and should be running wild). I spoke to a vet and they say that most of the reptiles she sees are not kept “correctly” and is in poor condition. If some animal rights activists had their way the following would happen:
  • No fishing
  • No hunting of any animal (Including feral animals)
  • No keeping of reptiles
  • I have even seen some suggest I should become vegetarian (no eating of meat)
Just a piece of trivia for you: Did you know over 300 organizations can enter your house (Read legally break down your door) without your permission – Police is not one of those organizations. I personally do not want to give away more of my rights including the right to have a reptile as a pet.

Again, wrong.

The RSPCA is not an animal rights organisation, they are an animal welfare organisation. The RSPCA is filled with tossers but they do not want pet ownership banned, they do not want fishing banned and they do not want hunting banned.

Name these 300 organisations.

Ok
I am incredibly against the realease of "Feral" and Un-native animals into Australia, or any country where the animal in question could possible threaten the well being of natives.
Plague minnow, Wild pigs, Wild goats, Cane toads, Foxs, Rabbits, Mice, Rats, all introduced species of animals are causing terrible problems for Australias wildlife
True, if there is a way to get rid of them from the wild permanetly, I am all for it, as long it does "Not" involve the animals suffering any pain prior to death.
Where as i still pitty Mice, Rats and other rodents being used for food for reptiles, i still deal with it because they have found ways to euthanise the animals so that they do not feel pain.
I only feed frozen foods to reptiles.
As for Sprays and pesticides, I'm quite against them aswell, though, I still want the Creepy crawlings out of my room, i use natural ways, such as, if i find Frogs i will bring them closer to the house as atleast when the Flies or whatever die, another animal is benefiting from it.
I don't belive in wasting a life, and thats what this contract is about.
When people go fishing, most of the time this fish are used for food.
In the wild, worse things happen to the animals then having blunt trauma (such as caustic humor mentioned) animals die slowly and painfully in the wild once another animal sees it as a food source, there is going to be exceptions to this law, regardless of how much these people love animals, they can't denie us of feeding our animals other animals, becuase otherwise, that would be animal curelty, the point of this has been missed entirely with some people.
This particular pettition is aimed at those who hurt and kill animals purely out of enjoyement,
no for benficial reasons.

*signed already but also sent to friends and family*

Midol ,

I think cruelty to any animal is WRONG, but I also cannot support groups like RSPCA who are opposed to
  • Hunting of wild animals as a sport
  • Angling – but not as strong as they oppose hunting
  • Keeping of reptiles – keeping of animals that “should be in the wild”
Please have a look at the RSPCA website. I am sorry I cannot support a group that opposes my pastime of keeping reptile. Last time I looked a lizard, Turtle or snake is not a bird.

The bottom line is these guys want to go much further than the cat kickers and make life hard for anything that is not soft and fluffy (A pet in their eyes).

http://www.rspca.org.au/policy/c.asp

RSPCA Australia is opposed to the hunting of any animal for sport.
RSPCA Australia does not oppose angling provided that all of the following conditions are met:
  • it is conducted in a manner that minimises any associated pain, suffering or distress to the fish during capture and handling, and killing or release
  • it is only conducted in waterways where free-running fish can escape
  • the fish is either released immediately, provided the hook injury is minimal and will not compromise survival, or humanely killed immediately by stunning, spiking or pithing.
RSPCA Australia supports the development of codes of practice for the welfare of fish caught by angling and the adoption of such codes as a condition of recreational fishing licences.
http://www.rspca.org.au/animal/wildlife_laws.asp
The RSPCA is actively opposed to the sale and keeping of native animals (other than captive bred birds) as pets.

my opinion is the RSPCA dont recognise fish or crabs as pets either. I know they try but I have come across many pet stores around australia that mistreat animals like hermit crabs, fish, and even thier birds. I have been banned from many a store for advising them how to properly care for thier animals. I have been that distracted by their unability to properly care for animals that I now have my own hermit crab refuge. It started about 3 years ago and I have steadily adopted crabs from people throughout Adelaide. At current count I have 5 3ft tanks housing hermit crabs that I have adopted. They have been recorded to live upto thirty years with proper care and I must be on a roll I havent lost a crab for 4 years. I make all of my own food and always shop in the reptile section for products eg equipment and food bowls. This is my two bit! I am an animal lover and find that all animals that are kept for pets shoudl be cared for correctly, and those that are used for food should be culled humanely. Pests that wreck our ecosystem dont really worry me! I am all for hunting canetoads, foxes, hairs, rabbits and wild boars, even feral dogs and cats but no one should treat helpless animals with such grotesque behaviour. I love my animals and I am beginning to love reptiles too.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back