Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that snakes kept in temperature controlled environments which operate to maintain stable enclosure temperatures, independent of external ambient temperatures, will still stop eating for several months at this time of year, I strongly suspect that changing day lengths is the more important stimulus for inducing brumation. As Fay pointed out, the Antaresia genus is well know for ceasing feeding over winter even when summer time cage temperatures are maintained. As with most characteristics, there is always variation and some Antaresia individuals will continue to eat, just as some individuals form other genera will stop eating, even though full heating is maintained.

Sounds like the best thing you could do is stop offering food, maintain fresh water, gradually cutback on the amount of daytime heating over the next fortnight to three weeks and let it brumate. Come mid-September, gradually reverse the process and start offering food again once full daytime heating is achieved.

Blue

Oh woah, i did not know that some species of Herp, are "more-prone" to brumation or the important stimulus.....
So in saying so, basically gotta help the antaresia regualte his own temp rather then inducing it?? reduce it by how much/how often mate?
cheers blue eyy

Given that snakes kept in temperature controlled environments which operate to maintain stable enclosure temperatures, independent of external ambient temperatures, will still stop eating for several months at this time of year, I strongly suspect that changing day lengths is the more important stimulus for inducing brumation. As Fay pointed out, the Antaresia genus is well know for ceasing feeding over winter even when summer time cage temperatures are maintained. As with most characteristics, there is always variation and some Antaresia individuals will continue to eat, just as some individuals form other genera will stop eating, even though full heating is maintained.

Sounds like the best thing you could do is stop offering food, maintain fresh water, gradually cutback on the amount of daytime heating over the next fortnight to three weeks and let it brumate. Come mid-September, gradually reverse the process and start offering food again once full daytime heating is achieved.

Blue

This is a really interesting theory, and the first I've heard of it. It fits in with my spotted's eating habits - he went off his food around February, and up until a month ago I was living in QLD, where we were still getting 30 degree days by the time I left, so temperature certainly wasn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back