Merry Christmas Young Police

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the laws that have come into effect over the past decade or so to do with p plate drivers are unfair, unreasonable and plain stupid.

At 18 people are legal adults, they can vote, they can buy alochol they can marry and most importantly THEY CAN GO TO WAR FOR THIS COUNTRY AND DIE.

All these passenger limit laws and curfews are insanity at its best.

So this country is fine sending a 18 year old of to Iraq to die but they cant drive after a certain time?

WRONG.

I have to disagree. Stats show that by introducing the laws controlling what young drivers do, has reduced deaths significantly in other countries such as NZ. Anything that can be done to minimize deaths on the road has to be a good thing.

They don't just pluck these ideas out of the air. A lot of consultation goes into creating laws and they are usually based on studies done of other countries laws and they have seen the evidence for themselves.

I have a 16 year old son and it really worries me that he will soon be driving because I know how stupid young people can be behind the wheel. A friend of mine years ago had a near miss when he was only quiet young. He was in the RAAF and they had all been drinking and they decided to go somewhere else. Everyone but him got into the car and took off, and they only made it a little way down the road before they crashed and were all killed. What made the accident so much worse was that one of the boy's mother's was a nurse and was first on the scene and didn't realise it was her son until she saw him dead. Very sad.

Everyone but him got into the car and took off, and they only made it a little way down the road before they crashed and were all killed. What made the accident so much worse was that one of the boy's mother's was a nurse and was first on the scene and didn't realise it was her son until she saw him dead. Very sad.

Very sad to hear that Jewly but the same thing could of and has happened to fully licenced drivers.

I strongly disagree in relation to your comment about studies and consultation taking place in relation to laws being passed. Take the passenger limit law for example. By limiting the amount of people a P Plater can carry in a car ultimately means one of two things. Either multiple trips or multiple cars being used to transport passengers, Id love to see any studies that indicate it increases safety on the roads.

I personally dont drive but do agree P Platers get it tough. My partner, a P plater, is pulled over regularly yet has only been in trouble once. A neg driving charge mind you. He was driving along a main road and a fully licenced driver reversed out of her drive way into him. She admitted 100% fault.. that is till the cops came and then simply because my partner is a P Plater it was assumed he did wrong and got the blame.

I don't understand all these stories from p-platers "The cops are picking on me, I've been pulled over 11 times".I myself am a p-plater and have NOT been pulled over once in the year since I have had my provisional license.All of you getting pulled over all the time must be doing something wrong.

I have to disagree. Stats show that by introducing the laws controlling what young drivers do, has reduced deaths significantly in other countries such as NZ.

From my experience, the driving age is too young in NZ, although I loved it at the time, I have seen way too many people killed/injured in accidents because they are too young and immature to drive.
At 15, you get your learners, in 6 months time, you can get your Restricted, which means you can drive a car by yourself, but can have no passengers that havn't had their full license for 2 years, and cannot drive after 10pm or before 5am, which absolutely no one abides by.
Then in 1 years time, depending on whether or not you have done a defensive driving course, you can get your full license, 16 and a half years old with a full license. if not, then you wait an additional 6 months. 16 1/2 or 17 is too young for a full license IMO.

OMG he caught speeding, honestly as if you would all flame him for that lol.

I have to disagree. Stats show that by introducing the laws controlling what young drivers do, has reduced deaths significantly in other countries such as NZ. Anything that can be done to minimize deaths on the road has to be a good thing.
There is a difference between NZ and AU licensing systems. A NSW youth cant drive by themselves until at least the age of 17, after a year on L-plates. (often they are older)....

A few things i do agree with are the basic curfews - when you first drive by yourself it is a big learning curve. i didnt drive my friends around for the first 4-odd months of my P-Plates. But after this period i found the curfew in inconveinience - there was concerts and movies we wanted to go to, and we had to take separate cars.
I think the after-11pm curfew for Red P-Plates is in general silly - it works against the designated driver initiative and forces MORE young driver onto the roads during the later hours instead of just being in one car.

that said, i have one friend about 4 months into red p-plates, and i dont think she should even be driving. i got a lift with her 5 minutes up the road, and she managed to run 2 stop signs and cut multiple corners, even veering onto the wrong side of the road at one point. the curfew, in her case, is valid. she should NOT be driving tired with passengers. she'd kill someone. (no offense to her)

back to topic - i have thankfully never been booked. but i have been pulled over. i freaked out at the time, but no tears or anything.
i really think a persons car also effects you likelyhood of being pulled over - a P-plater with hotted-up or simply fast car is worth pulling over and defecting over your normal driver anyday. (Of course the police will target P-Platers... Just some of them, not all)

Whoa... sorry for the novel...its a bit longer than i meant...

I strongly disagree in relation to your comment about studies and consultation taking place in relation to laws being passed. Take the passenger limit law for example. By limiting the amount of people a P Plater can carry in a car ultimately means one of two things. Either multiple trips or multiple cars being used to transport passengers, Id love to see any studies that indicate it increases safety on the roads.

NZ decreased the amount of passengers young people could transport as well as changing other laws and the rate of deaths in that age bracket dropped dramatically. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

Well, no one would have known had he not 'bragged' about it on a forum.

I thought he was having a whinge personally! :lol:

I got a speeding fine, do you hate me now? Everyone needs to chill lol

I agree. ;)

Can I see a pattern? The same people, posting on different threads, putting others down for any reason they can find?? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back