Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1369

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have some pic's and info on sand goanna's or spencers monitors, i wanna get one after my new bank is made but not to sure of tank size and requirements, hatchie to adult size tank and so forth, any info would be apreciated

thanks
Snow!

Yeah, no probs. We need to up date the info, but there's some nice pics.

how big would a finale enclosure be for an adult? also how long could i keep a hatchie in a 5ftx3ftx2ft tank?

yes you can keep a sepencers in that enclosure for its first two to three years. then you would be looking at a large outdoor enclosure. spencers monitor is a good choice.

how big would a finale enclosure be for an adult? also how long could i keep a hatchie in a 5ftx3ftx2ft tank?

IMO for an adult 4mx2m would be a starting point, bigger would be better. A 5' tank would be good to start with, but depending on how much you feed them they can grow very fast or slow, so it may not last too long if you feed them alot.

Sorry to hijack, but what exactly do you feed a big monitor?

Dog food, rats,mice. I have seen a cool 2 storey enclosure used for a lace monitor, it was 4 foot long and 4 foot high about 2 foot wide, the lacey was about 4 foot long, It was in need of a slightly bigger enclosure but seemed more than happy living in there.

Thanks for the info guys, 2-3 years in that tank would be sweet, anyone wanna add some pictures.

Cris is that your monitor in your avatar? is it a spencers? and what size cage is it in?

Hey, Just about to buy an 8ft tank, definatley want a spencers (after the Bredli) how long could it be housed in an 8ft, what kind of set-up would it need, (what to put in there with him or her) do males and females difer in size? sorry about the q's :D anyone wanna share some pic's of their tank's or monitors?

Here's some pics of our hatchy Spencers.
8ft should be okay for the couple of years but ideally when they are adults if you can - house them in a large outdoor pit. Much better for them. More room to run around and climb etc.
They love basking on logs and rocks.

Attachments

• spenc. (Large).jpg
    spenc. (Large).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
  • sp1 (Large).jpg
    sp1 (Large).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 43
  • sp2 (Large).jpg
    sp2 (Large).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 38
  • ridgefull1 (Large).jpg
    ridgefull1 (Large).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 35
  • sp3 (Large).jpg
    sp3 (Large).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 40
No experience with the spencers, but the sandies & lacies I'd say 5-6 footer as a starter, then once the little guy starts growing, go with the biggest enclosure you can afford /have room for particularly with the sandies, due to their speed & movement patterns. That said, we have a mature flavirufus in an 8' x3' x4' indoor enclosure who's as happy as. He comes out during the day to bask, has a bit of dig, then basks again until the minute the sun goes down, then it's straight into his burrow until morning. He'd be probably 4' overall length, & while I originally thought he'd need to go into an aviary type setup, his individual habits make him perfectly suited to the enclosure he's in.

You could also get some of the smaller species of monitors like Ackies,Gilleni and Tristis.These monitors you can keep in doors in something like a 4ft enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back