Morphlying/Tadpole help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousred

Reaction score
So this is a shout out for help to more experienced frog keepers.
So the story goes, my friend emptied her pond found that she had a bunch load of tadpoles and i stupidly offered to take them, turn them into frogs and take em back to her pond, soooo I'm keeping them in water 22c. I'm such a doofus. They are turning into frogs too fast, its still winter. please excuse me while i smash my head repeatedly for my stupidity. I'm Pretty sure they are striped marsh frogs, so far i have one froglet, still with tail, and about 30 with back legs and almost front legs. What the duff am i gonna do...if i turn the temp down will they stop?? I really don't want to be feeding 30+ baby frogs for the next month.. but if i have to i have to. Do they need uv? heating? Was feeling so proud, hadn't lost a single one, then it dawns on me... its still winter!!!
help?...

ps, i'm a sucker, i couldn't let her kill the wittle tadpoles...

You can still release them... frogs are active during winter.
Wait until they're about 2 - 3 weeks old though.
Just feed them, it's only a short while.

Oh ok good, I wasnt sure if it would be to cold. thankyou :) that was the overall plan

the warmer the water the faster they morph. see people can play really smart in this to make maximium cash and production out of there frogs. i will deffently be doing this. but if you half or quarter your tadpoles in seperate tubs have the 2 with just water and 1 with a heater so they morph then once they past the risk level then you can start on the next tub and so forth.

Lol wish i thought of that a while ago. Most of them have big back legs now so will it matter if i take the heating away will they be ok?

At what point should I take the morhplings out of the tadpole tank and put them in a seperate one? There is one that has all legs and looks like a frog accept for the tail, i'm pretty sure he is breathing air, I have a rock and some driftwood for him to get out on but should I take him out? I have another tub ready for the little frogs, Does anyone have experience with the conditions i should keep them in? I've read that a jar lid full of water will surfice to prevent drowning but i'm pretty sure stripped marsh frogs are aquatic so drowning unlikly? Thats not a whole lot of info on the net for careing for young frogs...

Last edited:
Striped Marsh frogs are not aquatic. They do spend a large amount of time in water compared to many species. But are not aquatic. Captive frogs seem able to drown in all kinds of things, but as long as the water is either shallower than them or they can easily get out they shouldn't. Just keep them in a container with a small amount of water, few holes in lid or side to keep humidity up, and a place for them to hide, say a small sheet of bark. They should be fine in this for a couple weeks while you feed them up. Keep in mind that the survival rate in the wild is rather small so if you loose a few don't feel to bad they are already better off than they would have been.

Striped marsh frogs are a bit of a pest species arround sydney anyway

Thanks for that geck :)

I'll move him out of the tadpole tank today then.

In all my googling i haven't found a single word on them being a pest.....

there *they're, pest's *pests.

Was anyone debating their status of being amphibians?

While I wouldn't count these as pests they are highly numerous in the Sydney area and their loud and raucous calling does annoy some people. Personally I have trouble getting to sleep at night in summer without frog calls but....

Considering the way frogs are going I don't think any native frogs would be declared pests.... I must say is probably the first time I've seen or heard frogs in my area, ever.

Take the set up outside if possible to your friends house, place a few broad logs and similar leading from the waters edge to the backyard and allow them to move off naturally.

This time of year they should still find food and be active (I saw about 30 striped Marsh out and about the other night in Northern NSW).

Cheers,
Scott

Cheers,
Scott

Unfortunately thats not possible yet as she hasn't re planted the pond and around it after ripping everything out and her labrador has decided its fun to chase things in the pond (fish) so I'm not exactly sure where these frogs will be going. Hopefull she gets it all done next weekend.

So my first froggy ate his first cricket today. YAY! there is about 8 others who have all legs but still long tails, when i pick them up the do jump but it still looks like they are breathing with there gills so will give them another day or two before i move them out.
Some pics of the first froggy and my other tadpoles :)
240820112326.jpg

240820112325.jpg

190820112263.jpg

190820112260.jpg

nice setup but i would make more of a land part in there man.

they dont need to eat until there tail disolves because they get the nutrience they need from it.

Im actually coming to sydney this weekend, but wouldnt mind some stripped marsh frogs to go with my spotted marsh frogs, but i would need a import license plus you only have one frog :-(

Plus there wild sweetie so there going back to the wild :) And yeah I'm lowering the water line in the next day or so, there are still about 20 that don't have any legs yet so need to keep plenty of water in there

Im actually coming to sydney this weekend, but wouldnt mind some stripped marsh frogs to go with my spotted marsh frogs, but i would need a import license plus you only have one frog :-(
Could be wrong, but I've heard the striped marsh will eat other frogs too... so probably not the best idea anyway.

Plus there wild sweetie so there going back to the wild :) And yeah I'm lowering the water line in the next day or so, there are still about 20 that don't have any legs yet so need to keep plenty of water in there

Well actually frogs can morph in water as little as 5 litres but thats only about 6 or 7 but if 20 as little as 10 litres. nothing to much. the more water the longer they take to morph also.
and i told you about the heater.

Could be wrong, but I've heard the striped marsh will eat other frogs too... so probably not the best idea anyway.

Well any frog will eat other frogs no matter which frog it is. if it fits in there mouth they can eat it. so if you put an adult frog with a morphing of course that's going to happen.
But a striped marsh frog is only a little bit bigger then a spotted marsh, they will be fine in the same enclosure together.

The froglet box :)

Close up of 2 froglets :)

And the morphling box! currently 8 in there, prob 5 more ready to come out of tadpole tanks in the next few days :) there pond is on its way to being ready too!

Attachments

• 280820112354.jpg
    280820112354.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 280820112356.jpg
    280820112356.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 280820112357.jpg
    280820112357.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.