Morphlying/Tadpole help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some nice pictures there man, but i would watch that sphagnum moss that is doesn't sit in water otherwise it will grow bacteria and effect the frogs and kill them.

With no heating for these frogs as they are nocturnal i would watch the moss carefully.

What should i use other than the moss? What does the bacteria look like?
And nope no heating
Just read that it inhibits fungal and bacterial growth?

Last edited:
yeh you cant see the bacteria that grows on stuff like that.

i use coco peat from bunnings it comes in a brick you have to stick in 7 litres of water, but it tells you to use warm water, warm water for it isn't advisable because the copper from the hot water tap is toxic to frogs and will kill them. soak it in cold water, just takes little longer to break up.

once its broken up grab it out with your hand and give it a squeeze until you get rid of the access water then stick it in your tank. and give it a spray every 3 or 4 days but dont spray it til its soaking wet just enough to have a moist look to it.

works a treat, been doing it for my marshies 4 months now and i clean it out every month.

Up too 12 complete little frogs witch are eating an growing, 16 with only half a cm of tail left, and 8 with about a cm, and 30+ still with either all legs and still long tails, or just back legs, and 3 or 4 with no legs. In the whole proccess i've lost only 3, one went down the drain.. woops, and 2 just didnt make it.

030920112402.jpg030920112403.jpg030920112408.jpg030920112409.jpg030920112410.jpg030920112415.jpg030920112417.jpg

Last edited:
Need a lot of hiding spots for them, they a ground frog and need to hide somewhere.

I also forgot to mention that the coco peat is digestible for the frogs to so they wont have a problem. I'm also using it for my WLTF's!

Work fine if any frog, you can also add peat moss to it as well.

hey, would i be able to buy some of ur little froggys off u i am an experienced amphibian keeper i used to have green tree frogs but old age got em, well please reply

the waters too low need to be put half way with water ager and feed blood worms or gold fish food turns to algae

Last edited:
which person you talking to mate???

im selling 6 white lipped tree frogs in about 4 to 6 week once they get little bigger.

hey, would i be able to buy some of ur little froggys off u i am an experienced amphibian keeper i used to have green tree frogs but old age got em, well please reply

the waters too low need to be put half way with water ager and feed blood worms or gold fish food turns to algae
Read the earlier posts, They are wild caught and will be returned to the wild.

Yep there all going back to the wild, there is 52 of them now :)

And then there were 70, and about 20 almost frogs... my friend STILL hasn't got the pond done so am looking for somewhere to release them now...

Last edited:
Unfortunately you might be devastating the habitat you release them in. That many frogs are not meant to hatch out of a pond at the one time, many of them should have died.

I had thought of that and hadn't planed on releasing them all in the one spot

yeh you cant see the bacteria that grows on stuff like that.

i use coco peat from bunnings it comes in a brick you have to stick in 7 litres of water, but it tells you to use warm water, warm water for it isn't advisable because the copper from the hot water tap is toxic to frogs and will kill them. soak it in cold water, just takes little longer to break up.

once its broken up grab it out with your hand and give it a squeeze until you get rid of the access water then stick it in your tank. and give it a spray every 3 or 4 days but dont spray it til its soaking wet just enough to have a moist look to it.

works a treat, been doing it for my marshies 4 months now and i clean it out every month.

so this means the copper from the cold water tap is ok for them then just not the hot tap
every house ive seen has copper pipes for both hot and cold

Good for you for doing this. I wouldnt worry about multiple site releases, the higher number of survivors from your spawn will probably not be enough to offset numbers lost locally through feral predation, pollution, etc etc

The only problem with doing this is all of these tadpoles have come from the same parents. This means they all are genetically very similar. That is the problem with doing what you are doing here. Most of these frogs should have died because they wouldn't have been able to survive in their wild environment because they were not as suited to their environment. Now all frogs, even the ones that should have died can breed in the wild with other frogs or each other if you release them at the same place. This means their wild genetics in the population have been diluted with the genes and frogs that are not suppose to exist anymore now do. You should have let them go in a creek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back