Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
In January, my wife and I spent 10 days in Brisbane. I was there for work so was not able to to much herping. We did visit the Lamington Plateau on a weekend (subject of another post). I also went night driving in the Mt. Glorious area on three occasions and this report will include the results of the drives. Mt. Glorious is only about an hour west of centre of Brisbane.

The weather was wet and not very hot for this time of the year. I only ventured to Mt. Glorious at night, so I do not have habitat shots from this trip. I do have pics of the forest in this post from a couple of years ago:
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3234&highlight=glorious

I found a variety of reptiles and amphibians on this trip. One of my favourites is the Bandy-bandy (Vermicella annulata). I found as many as three each night.
bandy1.jpg

bandy2_3.jpg

This one started to loop its body but did not put on a very good show like they sometimes will do:
bandy2_5.jpg

Conditions must have been ideal for blind snakes (Ramphotyphlops sp.) and I found up to 8 each night. These are the prey of Bandy-bandy. Several blind snakes are found in southeast Queensland. I think most of those that I observed were probably Ramphotyphlops proximus due to their size and the angular profile of the head.
typhlops2.jpg

typhlops3.jpg

typhlops1.jpg

These blind snakes were quite large.
typhlops4.jpg

I found what I believe to be a different species in an area of dry eucalyptus woodland. I think that this is a Ramphotyphylops ligatus due to the sharp demarcation between the dorsal and ventral colours.
typhlopsSp2_3-1.jpg

typhlopsSp2_2-1.jpg

This young Stephen's Banded Snake (Hoplocephalus stephensii) had recently eaten. I only saw this species once in 3 nights of driving.
stephens1.jpg

stephens2.jpg

This large Rough-scaled Snake (Tropidechis carinatus) crossed the road on a wet night.
rough5.jpg

rough4.jpg

rough1.jpg

I saw Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) each night.
easternSmallEyed1.jpg

easternSmallEyed2.jpg

This year, I strangely failed to find Golden-crowned Snakes (Cacophis squamulosus). I did see a relative, the White-crowned Snake (Cacophis harriettae).
whiteCrowned1-1.jpg

whiteCrowned2-1.jpg

Carpet Pythons (Morelia spilota) were active each night.
carpet1-1.jpg

This one crossed the road in heavy rain.
carpet3.jpg

This juvenile blended will with the leaf litter.
carpet6.jpg

This was my first ever Anomalopus verreauxii. Unfortunately, this burrowing skink was DOR.
anomalopus1.jpg

anomalopus2.jpg

Southern Spotted Velvet Geckos (Oedura tryoni) were sighted each night.
SouthernSpotted1-1.jpg

SouthernSpotted2-1.jpg

SouthernSpotted8.jpg

SouthernSpotted6.jpg

Robust Velvet Geckos (Oedura robusta) were common in the drier eucalyptus woodland.
robust4.jpg

robust2.jpg

...juvie
robust5.jpg

I think that this Burton's Snake-lizard (Lialis burtonis) was the most beautiful individual that I have seen. These are highly variable in colour and pattern, even within the same area.
burtons1.jpg

burtons3.jpg

Pink-tongued Skinks (Cyclodomorphus gerrardii) were encountered each night.
pink1.jpg

pink2.jpg

This Calyptotis was a new genus of skinks for me. There are two similar species here, C. lepidorostrum and C. scutirostrum. I don't know how to separate these in the field.
calyoptis2.jpg

calyoptis1.jpg

One of Australia's prettiest frogs, the Red-eyed Tree Frog (Litoria chloris) was abundant in some areas.
redeyed1-1.jpg

redeyed2.jpg

redeyed3.jpg

Green Tree Frogs (Litoria caerulea) were common.
Green2.jpg

Dainty Tree Frogs (Litoria gracilenta) were calling along a stream.
cit1.jpg

I am not certain of the identity of this Barred Frog but think that it is probably a Great Barred Frog (Mixophyes fasciolatus).
barredFrog1.jpg

Jesus... found a few :)

Nice shots.

I don't think I'd fancy driving those roads at night, otherwise I'd be keen to head up there myself lol.

Fantastic photos Moloch05....

Looks like you had a great trip!

Please put more of your field photos up!

-H

Seems like you had a good trip! Love the geckos and the legless lizard.

Great photos!

lepidorostrum normally has a scaly ear with a conical depression. unless looked closely they can not be told apart. Hope this helps

excellent photos Moloch05 :)

it could be Mixophyes fasciolatus but I think it looks a bit more like M. fleayi - it has a blueish looking eye, yellow belly with lateral spots and a brown stripe on the lip.

Great pics, thanks for sharing, love the old coastal
Cheers
Adam

Great animals and shots mate, keep them coming.......

Cheers
Jordan

Great pics mate, you found heaps!!! I want to take a trip to there!!!

Thanks for sharing :D
Trouble

I ave probs with photos on this website, Cann u guide me

awsome pictures moloch, that blind snake is huge. how do you manage to find so much we went for i night drive and only found 2 snakes and a few frogs. were do you usualy see the geckoes? on the road or on trees?

Excellent photo's...very nice!!
Love the Burtons and the rest:)

WOW!!! Awesome photo's, Can I just ask what camera you use?

i must say i am very jealous of what you have seen. i must get my lazy rear end up there and have a look.

Great photo's, can't wait to see a bandy bandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back